Author Topic: Odd Gun, But Not Mauser  (Read 9956 times)

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Odd Gun, But Not Mauser
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
Has anyone had experience with a circa 1953 Whitney Wolverine pistol?   I would be interested in your observations.

Regards,

Jim
Jim

Bigboy99

• View Profile
Re: Odd Gun, But Not Mauser
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
I have both the old and new models of the Whitney Wolverine pistols.  What would you like to know?
Bill

There are no problems which can not be solved by the application of high explosives, Teflon tape or WD-40 but not necessarily in that order.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
I am looking at three of them today, but can only afford one.  There is the first variation without logo, standard variation and then the factory plated variation with the nice white grips.  Which variation is most sought after?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim

Bigboy99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
I would have to say the first one is the most desirable while the factory plated would be second and the standard model lastly in my estimation.  I know of no publications on them so you can take my $0.02 and use if if you like.
Bill

There are no problems which can not be solved by the application of high explosives, Teflon tape or WD-40 but not necessarily in that order.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
Just saw them and more importantly picked them up.  What a beautiful gun, but that ultra light weight perplexed me.  My size 7 hand could only reach the trigger by the tip of my finger.  I have mixed feeling about it, now that I have had one in my hand.  It would have to be a wall hanger at my house. 

Thanks for your input.

Jim 
Jim

Bigboy99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
Jim,

I have the opposite problem.  I have very large hands and really enjoy "big" handguns.  A double stacked magazine in .45ACP for me!  I modified my new Whitney so I can attach a suppressor and it makes it really quiet.  What you hear is the slide cycling and the plop as the bullet hits the berm!

When the original Whitney came on the market, it was nicknamed the "The Buck Rodgers Gun" because of its futuristic look and Buck Rodgers being the big TV space program in the late '50's, early '60's.  The aluminum receivers were made by Alco Aluminium Company.  My receiver has the Alco name molded into the cast receiver.  The Whitney was way ahead of its time as it was the first handgun made with a cast aluminum receiver.  I think is was too far ahead of its time and that is what lead to its down fall.  The consensus of the population was, cast aluminium receivers were just not for the manufacture of handguns which resulted in its downfall.
Bill

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »
Great insight and fine comment.  Thank you very much.  The serial number #2856 is black with white grips.  It is a stunner of a looker.  The plated #6229 is missing it's rear sight.  The guns are knock out eye poppers, but for my size 7 hand they are almost a two handed job for me to hold.  I guess I better stick with my HScs.   Thanks again for your comments.  They are appreciated.

Jim 
Jim