Author Topic: What model 1910 do I have?  (Read 7494 times)

HWaA

• View Profile
What model 1910 do I have?
« on: October 29, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »
I recently picked up a 1910 6.35mm, serial number 399,601. It has a curved black plastic grip. The serial numbers all match but are hidden on the back of the sideplate (not showing above the trigger), and on the left side of the frame under the grip (not on the rear of the frame). The magazine is blued and has 9 holes on the left side with a round front floor plate and Mauser stamped. In a post on page 2 of 1910 Mauser posts, Dec. 30,2013, vlim talks about his 1910/34 and the reuniting of the magazine. Our guns are only 161 apart and look identical. When I research my gun in my Roy Pender book, my serial number falls in the range of a late post war commercial model. According to the book it should have a straight checkered wood grip. Has someone replaced the grip on mine with a  plastic one to make it look like a 1910/34? Pender states that curved grips started around serial#403361 on 6.35mm. Seeing vlim's post has me confused. Two of the same configurations so close together but not in the correct serial# range to be 1910/34. What's up? Is mine a 1910 or 1910/34? Any help would be appreciated.

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: What model 1910 do I have?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »
I would personally classify yours as a 1910/34.

saxon

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »
Your pistol was made in 1935.I consider it a 1910/34.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 04:15:59 PM »
HWaA,

Your 1910/34 is a transitional model, made before the 1910/34s. I recorded it earlier with straight back plastic grip. Since then someone has replaced the straight back grip with the later curved back grip. It was probably done to try and get more money for it in a auction. Also, the 1910/34 curved back grip is being reproduced in Europe so it is possible that the grip on yours is not even an original grip, though it may be original it is very hard to tell the difference. I hope you will forgive my being the bearer of not so good news.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »
Thanks for the information 1914mauser. I thought the serial# was too early for that grip. I paid the average 1910 price for pistol in this condition. My original intent was to find a nice wooden grip as mentioned in my Mauser Pocket Pistol book and sell the plastic grip. If it is not a reproduction it should have some value. You mention it having a straight plastic grip at one time. Would that be correct? I want to have the pistol in its correct configuration. I don't have time tonight to get a picture of the grip but I will try to post one maybe tomorrow to get your opinion as to whether it is original or not if you don't mind. If you know anyone with a nice correct grip I sure would be interested. And you are not the bearer of bad news. You are helping get this pistol back to the way it should be. Thanks

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »
It use to have a plastic/hard rubber grip with the MW monogram. It would not be possible to tell if the 1910/34 grip is original from pictures. All I can say is compared to originals the reproductions are not as glossy. The originals may be a Bakelite type of plastic. A word of caution, unlike the .32 caliber models not all .25 grips will fit all .25 frames. The frames were machined differently over time. So make sure you can return a grip if it does not fit.

Regards,
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:28:46 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
Funny, never gave this much thought.

Pulled the grip from my pistol, it looks like an original grip including the non-plastic bakelite smell to it.

But I wouldn't be suprised if it has been replaced at some point in time. The pistol was bought from a dealer in the former GDR region, so there is a good chance that it had the grip replace somewhere during it's service life or afterwards.

When pulling the grip I also noticed an interesting repair on the broken magazine catch spring. The top half is being held in place by a small, sloppy weld, the bottom half is held in place with a screw. Functional, though :)

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »
Thank you all for your input on this pistol. I took it over to a friends today and compared my grip to two of his late model 7.65mm plastic grip models that he knows are not reproductions. Has the exact same shine and look. Mine has a very small chip on the left side up by the safety and another about midway down on the front strap left side. It seems to have honest age and wear so in my opinion I'm thinking it is an original grip. I will be taking you advice 1914mauser and will find a correct fitting original wood grip. Think I'll keep the plastic one. One can never have too many spare Mauser parts.