Author Topic: Complete Dismantle  (Read 4436 times)

acrboston

• View Profile
Complete Dismantle
« on: November 25, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Good afternoon...  I am new member and I wish to first thank all of the legacy members who have built this wonderful forum.  I have already greatly benefited from the many posts and information within...

I recently purchased a commercial model HSc and I wish to completely dismantle the firearm, clean, and rebuild.  Are there any definitive guides that detail the proper techniques/methods to disassemble a Mauser HSc. Can you please suggest cleaning solvents that would be appropriate to use. I wish to bring this particular firearm back to bristol condition.

acrboston[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Dismantle
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum acrboston.  There is no definitive guide for complete disassembly on an HSc nor is there any reason to do so.  It would probably do more irreparable damage trying to reassemble it and may, in fact, prove to be dangerous to shoot afterwards.

You don't mention if it is Wartime/Postwar (1940-1946) or New Model (1968-1977).  Each type would be different and even within a type. modifications were made during the production cycle that could make replacement of a broken part impossible to find.

To clean and lubricate I have always (40 years) used non-aerosol WD40.  Hoppe's #9 will clean any buildup in the Barrel before using the WD40.  Again, I would encourage you not to try disassembling your HSc.  Simple field-stripping, cleaning, and lubrication will accomplish your goal.  There is no need to go further.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
I would agree with Warbird.  A complete disassembly is an overkill.  No need for that unless you like the challenge.  Enjoy your example and tell us about it.

Jim

Jim

acrboston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Thank you for your reply and of course advice. I was really hoping to pull this one apart to really understand the mechanism.  Here are few photographs for your viewing pleasure. The appearance of the serial number appear a little odd to me. Based on tables published by Burnham et al the serial number indicates a 1942 production year, civil  issued (no stamps).  The magazine is a half moon type.

Today, my son and  I fired about 25 rounds or so. The gun fired flawlessly with the exception of the following observations:

1) With an empty magazine and slide locked back, occasionally the slide could be pulled back a little and then the slide would go forward.

2) The magazine release is a little stiff. I feel that the slide is applying forward pressure on the empty magazine making it tougher to remove.

Other than that, really enjoyable to shoot and accurate to boot. 

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
That is a handsome example.  Thanks for sharing the photos.   I think the serial numbers are applied nicely.  I have seen some odd misalignments.  That is a great looking commercial.  Happy to hear that it fires well.  I have that lock back problem also on a couple of mine. 

Jim
Jim