Author Topic: Police Issue HSc  (Read 5056 times)

acrboston

• View Profile
Police Issue HSc
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
I am hoping to have your thoughts on a recent acquisition.  I believe I managed to purchase a 1942 Police issued Mauser HSc.

1) Serial number potentially indicates Early Wartime (preAugust), 1942
2) Eagle/L acceptance stamp. 
3) Magazine (Flat metal floor plate with Mauser banner)
4) Tapered magazine release and machined lanyard loop hole
5) Partial serial number on slide (electro pencil
6) Partial serial on barrel (stamped)

Assuming I have not been duped on the above, would this be a Variation 1 or 2.  The firing block is a "Long Block" design.  I am not sure what differentiates a variation 1 vs. variation 2. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.... oh one last question... how can you tell if the wooden grips are authentic and not just old or old looking!

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Police Issue HSc
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
Congratulations on winning the auction!  Manufacture date is January 1942, so you were close.  It is an Early Wartime Police HSc, Variation 1.  A Variation 2 is an Eagle F not L and would have been dated in 1945.  The long block Firing Pins were standard after 708708.  From everything I saw of the auction, you obtained a legitimate Police pistol.

Remove the left Grip.  If the bottom of the Disconnector groove is square, its probably OK.  After- market wood Grips usually have a round bottom in the groove.  Anything else, let me know.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:15:23 PM by Warbird »

acrboston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »
I thought I was bidding against the members of this forum! Clearly, I over paid, but I felt the seller was not highlighting the L proof mark or vintage at all.

Thank you for your assessment and explanation on the variation.  The tables within The Mauser HSc Pistol (Burnham/Theodore) a touch confusing.  In any event, an amazing resource.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »
No ... you weren't bidding against me.  I record all HSc data for our database so I can answer questions such as yours.  Thank you for also getting a copy of our book and I'm glad you find it helpful.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
Great photos and a very nice example.  I would love to have that one in my collection.   I don't know what you paid, but that is one sweet pistol!!!

Jim
Jim

Freddyet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
Hi new to the forum - really happy to have found this platform - I have a interarm Mauser - a 34938 serial number , the gun has a few feeding issues - i shoot ball Ammo ( Remington 95 Grain ) feeds great in my walther ppks . I have ordered a new Wolff recoil spring . I replaced it this evening . The spring said for early models . 7.65 / 9 Kurtz . The spring is actually about a half an inch longer than the old spring . Is this going to be ok ? Just seemed strange to have a different length. Slide racks , and loads chamber fine . Shooting with my gun club Tomorrow . Want to make sure going to be safe . All seems fine . I will bring the original spring if I need to change .  Thank you !!! 

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:33 PM »
Welcome Freddyet!  I take it from your information that this is a .380 ACP caliber (9mm Kurz ... no "t").  Wolff has an excellent reputation so I feel confident that what they sent you will work fine in your HSc.  Let me know how it goes tomorrow.