Author Topic: Value of Broomhandle  (Read 5612 times)

skipnsb

• View Profile
Value of Broomhandle
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
 Newbie here:

I have some basic familiarity with handguns, mostly modern revolvers.

I am trying to help a non-computerized friend liquidate his excess firearms.  In particular he has what I understand to be a Mauser "Broomhandle" which appears to be intact, but the bore looks real bad.  I have not tried to clean the bore but I believe it is severely corroded.  Otherwise it is in fair condition, grips aren't cracked.  Casting is very rough.

It is not loaded, but the slide is locked open and I ask how to close it.

The serial number is 2xxxx, on the left side on the "thick" part of the barrel/chamber almost even where the base of the cartridge sits when loaded.  I have read that the serial number  is not a reliable indicator of age.

One inch above the left grip in a raised rectangle it reads “MAUSER”

On the barrel at 12 0'clock just above the chamber it reads
WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER
GBERNLONS A/S (the A is tiny and might be a triangle or other mark)
On the right side about an inch above the grip it reads
WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER
OBERHOOF A.NEGKAR
I may have misunderstood 1 or 2 letters.

He does not have any paperwork, and doesn't remember where or when he got it.  Its in an almost new holster marked "US" that is clearly made for the shape of the pistol, and certainly not consistent with the apparent age of the pistol.

I would appreciate some hints and links to find value, if the serial number is correct I would assume its a very early gun.  I will try to get some pictures next time I am over there, are there particular areas that need good photos?  should I remove the grips to take pictures and look for markings?

I am just trying to get a ballpark for him, if its a $700 gun I will assist him selling “as is”:  if it may have some real collector value I will suggest to him that we hire an expert in this model.

Thank you for any help/links/ideas.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Value of Broomhandle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
First, Welcome to the forum,

It is virtually impossible to access a value without seeing some pictures. It is also not possible to know exactly what variation it is without the same. The details provided are somewhat inconsistent. I will be happy to assist you with an evaluation but I need more and yes some of what you posted is not correct
Marking should read "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A-G OBERNDORF AN" and if misspelled it could be a Chinese copy of a C-96. Value can range from $500 to $5000 or more so it is worth knowing what he has as if a correct Mauser C-96 it could be of a much greater value than if a copy.

No need to remove the grips. Just get some good pictures of both sides and of the top of chamber and side markings. Please verify the serial number.

You should be able to release the bolt by depressing the follower into the magazine well. The bolt is under spring tension so hold the bolt back with one hand and depress the follower with the thumb on the other hand. Once the bolt is past the back of the follower get your thumb out of the way and let the bolt go.

Regards,
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:52:35 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small