Author Topic: C96 Large Ring Hammer 1st type safety needed or who could repair one  (Read 4589 times)

Hoodoo

• View Profile
      I have a large ring hammer with the "button" broken off the first type safety. The safety is otherwise fine, although stiff and I wonder if this contributed to the button finally breaking off.  Basically there is nothing to engage with the thumb.   I've looked around at the usual suspects including Gun Parts/Numrich which lists it as out of stock.
      One is there any source of early C96 parts, or is it possible a custom gunsmith might be able to repair the original by welding on a new thumb "button?  I have noted that early type long extractors are pretty common due to replicas being made but no one has apparently tried to make the safety yet...    The issue of course is one of cosmetics.                                                          This is an early C96 and not a shooter but it is a scarce C96 as only about 300 of the Late Large ring Hammer Bolos were made and not that many have survived. I've documented only six or seven and mine may be the third one of this type made as it is only three serials above the little run of reinforced chamber six shot bolos.  Page 99 System Mauser.  It is a matching gun, partially in very good condition with sharp all matching markings and partially not so good but it does have the rare scalloped slider and the odd but factory extended groove sight. 

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: C96 Large Ring Hammer 1st type safety needed or who could repair one
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
HooDoo,

I would suggest posting on Jan Still's Luger forum. Look for restorer username "Thor" or Tom Heller, username 'LugerDoc" for possible replacement part. I would think on a LRH Bolo the safety lever would have a partial serial number, so if it were mine I would look to have the button added to the original part by a professional restorer to loose as little value as possible, over replacing with a non matching part. I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

Regards, 
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Hoodoo

• View Profile
Re: C96 Large Ring Hammer 1st type safety needed or who could repair one
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »
Either the safety had no number or it matches.   I took it apart and all the internal parts match where I could find numbers. No question the safety is original. Still had a lot of the carbonia blue on it. But I agreed, a button welded to it would be ideal.