Author Topic: Long Barreled M30  (Read 5476 times)

trakehner

• View Profile
Long Barreled M30
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
Picked up a M30 (dated 1930-1932 according to the serial number 820XXX).  it's an early model.  It's matching, has a correct stepped barrel and has no import marks on it.  It's a 9mm.  1,000/yd rear sight.  I know the Chinese did some long barrel mods way  back when, and after WWI some were also done.  This pistol has be confused...it's not been monkeyed with, imported and everything looks correct except for being a "buntline broomhandle".

Anybody seen these that weren't modded?  The barrel is not added to/spliced and it's certainly too late for a WWI mod.  Neat pistol, should be fun with a shoulder stock on it.

trakehner

• View Profile
And....it functioned 100%..Woohoo!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »
Braved the cold today (13 degrees and windy).  Used Winchester White Box and Russian steel cased stuff...both worked perfectly.

I shot it with and without a stock, it's accurate too!

Now if I can just figure out what I have.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Long Barreled M30
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
Can you post a picture so we can see what you mean by long barrel. 9mm M1930 variations are rare. If you can't post a picture a measurement from the chamber to the end of the barrel will help.

Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

trakehner

• View Profile
Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »
Sorry for the ghastly photos....phones don't make the best photos (at least not in my hands).

Now hopefully the photos will transfer, I'm new at this.  The comparison pistol is another model 30.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:31:39 AM »
Ok, I see what you mean. I can't see details in the picture but from the research I have done, based on all the published material I have read, Mauser never made a C-96 like this. It could be a Chinese copy or it could be a C-96 that a master gunsmith altered. These are the only explanations for the details you described. I lean toward the latter, as I cannot see details in the pictures that may reveal a Chinese trait. You state that it has not been "monkeyed with" but I have see other long barreled examples that the workmanship is superb. Mauser did make some carbines that had longer barrels but they had other traits that would be noticeable. The chambering in 9mm also points toward an altered original. This may not be the answer you were looking for but it is the most likely explanation. All this said, Mauser did some unusual things or custom orders that have not all been documented. In my research I have discovered a few. So if you are able to have it x-rayed or authenticated by Mauser documentation I would happily stand corrected.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

trakehner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
What research I've done showed the same thing...the Model 30 didn't come in 9mm.  I have a M30 (pictured next to the long barreled one) that had absolutely no rifling yet, I sent it off to be rebored into a 9mm...they did a beautiful job (and it wasn't a collector anymore since it was in rough shape) and it's a great shooter.  It's one of the last M30's made with solid rails vs. the groove in them. 

This long one is not a Chinese mod, the pistol is unmarked/no import stamps, and there are not the Chinese stampings or "sloppy" work.  The barrel and front sight are all standard...also has all the correct Mauser and proof stampings.  There is no front stock attachments/fittings so it never had them.  The numbers on the pistol match.  They even kept the correct step in the barrel...looks like some superb gunsmithing done.  May have it relined to a 7.63 Mauser...need to check out the accuracy first to see if I'll do that.