Author Topic: Simple green - will strip blue on interarms HSC  (Read 3921 times)

Freddyet

• View Profile
Simple green - will strip blue on interarms HSC
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »
Very embarrassing, and I feel like an idiot . I spent some range time with my Interarms .380 . I was having some problems with the slide returning with out me inserting the mag . I figured I would try a good cleaning when I got home . A gun friend suggested that I not try to dismantle the pistol completely , but to field strip - remove grips and soak frame and slide in simple green solution for a few hours - rinse with hot water , dry with compressed air and blow dryer , then re-oil / cost with  hopp s 9 -

well - the simple green striped the bluing ! Needless to say I feel like an idiot ...

Anyone have an ideas on what to do now . Do I re-blue ? Is it worth it ? I really wanted the gun for a carry , so it was not a musumem piece or anything - I had put new springs and it had acted better , but could never be s trusted carry - minor ftl problems .  Help

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:37:53 PM by Freddyet »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Simple green - will strip blue on interarms HSC
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »
I can't imagine why you would want to use the 40-year-old HSc for every day concealed carry.  While it was perhaps good for that purpose in its day, by comparison with the current market, it is a dinosaur! 

My personal preference would be the Kel-Tec line whether its their P-3AT in .380 or, even better, their P-32 in .32 ACP.  You would not believe how light and slim they are.  I have handled, carried, and fired both with perfection.

As for your HSc, I have heard a lot of good things about Cerakote.  You can look them up on line including someone in your area qualified to apply it.  Your probably looking at $150+ to do the job.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:25:32 PM by Warbird »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Simple green - will strip blue on interarms HSC
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:56:22 PM »
Simple Green.  I will remember that.  I have done worse.

Jim
Jim