Author Topic: Wouldn't mind some input on this "42/civilian"  (Read 5600 times)

Johnnyk

• View Profile
Wouldn't mind some input on this "42/civilian"
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
As mentioned on my other post about the stocks on a potential purchase of a '42 production civilian model HSc 7.65 I've got a few questions.  If you'd like to take a few moments, the gun in question is listed in the Gun Library on the Cabelas website.  There are just two photos of it, one of each side.  It's one of four HSc's listed and the only one with plastic stocks.  As of a few days ago it's being shipped to my local Cabelas where I'll be able to check it out and give it a thumbs down or purchase it. 
I'm new to the Mauser world, having had a 70's made HSc 7.65 back in the early 80's and I currently have a 1944 Mauser-made P-38.  Questions are this:  The photos of the "Cabelas HSc" look to show a fairly rough finish, as in the final machining finish.  Would this be normal for a 1942 civilian model?  Also, if you happen to check it out on the website the roll markings on the slide don't appear to be very deep - but this could be the lighting.
And finally, is the anything specific I might look for when this gun comes in, either mechanically or historically?  It looks to be in remarkably good shape for a 76 year old firearm.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Wouldn't mind some input on this "42/civilian"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:38:28 AM »
What website did you find it on?   Gunsinternational?   I will look at the photos, if they are still posted.

Jim
Jim

Johnnyk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
On the Cabelas website.  If you go there, select "Shooting", then click on the "Gun Library" and punch in "Mauser HSc".   Thanks!

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »
I took a look at this HSc.  Finish looked typical for a Peak Wartime pistol.  Slide markings are acid etched not roll stamped.  Roll stamping did not come on until the Late Wartime period.  For this particular serial range, the etching was typically very light.

The most important characteristic is that all three serial numbers are present and that they match.  As you said, the pictures are not the best resolution so my evaluation can only go so far.  I also don't like the fact that they didn't give a complete serial number.  Personally, I view any serial number with "Xs" in it as possibly/probably stolen.  Hope that helps.

Johnnyk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:30:37 PM »
Hey, thanks so much!  I'll update when it arrives...

Johnnyk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Ended up buying the HSc.  I already had a planned meet with some buddy's at an indoor range so I ended up shooting it within 40 min. of buying it.  The experience was not a good one, as maybe 6-7 of the 23-25 rounds I cycled through it actually fired.  V e r y  light primer strikes on the rounds that didn't go off.

When I got it home and field stripped it I expected to find all kinds of sludge - but nope,  clean as a whistle.  So much for "cleaning out the firing pin channel and getting it running again."

It seems to me that the firing pin spring is awfully stout, whereas the mainspring seems pretty weak.  I'll try a new main/hammer spring if I can get one in the next 9 days, otherwise i can take it back and Cabelas will send it out for repair under their used gun policy.

Anything else to consider?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
Again, as I mentioned, it is very important that the three serial numbers match if you are going to keep it.  Let me know.

Johnnyk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
Yes, they match.

Johnnyk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
As a test to see if the hammer spring was the problem in the failures to fire I've been having, I made a little donut-shaped deal out of plexiglass.  About 1/4" thick, I drilled a hole in the center just big enough for the hammer strut to fit through and placed it between the magazine latch and the bottom of the hammer spring.  in other words, the existing hammer spring has been compressed by 1/4".  It made a big difference, but I still had about 20-30% failures to ignite the primer.
Obviously, a new hammer spring is on the way.