Author Topic: HSc slide function question  (Read 5504 times)

HWaA

• View Profile
HSc slide function question
« on: February 17, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »
I have a peak wartime HSc that the slide will not hold open when I remove the empty magazine. I have tried other magazines that work perfectly in other HSc's but no luck, with the exception of one late war magazine I have with a stamped follower. It works flawlessly, and the slide stays open every time. I would use it except this era pistol is supposed to have a machined follower and I want the gun correct. I have seen the slide dropping problem on a few HSc's. I have tried swapping followers, springs, housings, the works. I'm stumped on this one. Does anyone know what the problem is? And what's the cure? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSc slide function question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:20:00 AM »
"In addition to providing storage of cartridges and ensuring proper alignment to feed them into the pistol, the HSc magazine assembly is an important component in the slide hold-open function after the last round is fired.  When a magazine is emptied and the follower reaches its topmost position, a notch at the rear of the follower receives the cartridge guide lever.  Then, as the slide cycles forward after recoil, instead of stripping off the next round in the magazine it comes to an abrupt stop when it contacts the follower.  This holds the slide open until the magazine is removed from the pistol at which point the follower releases the slide and the magazine safety activates to continue holding the slide open.  A reinserted magazine (full or empty) will pivot the magazine safety and release the slide to close."
                          - The Mauser HSc Pistol

From what you have said your Magazine Safety is not working properly.  Timing is critical with the Magazine release, so you want to be sure the Mag Safety pivot is clean a lubricated and the "hook" on the Mag Safety is not worn.  Check these and let me know if the problem clears up.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:31:24 AM by Warbird »

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »
Warbird, I took your advise and did a detailed cleaning with Ballistol. I drifted the pin that holds the magazine safety in place just enough to remove it as well as the small spring. Cleaned out the hole where the spring sits, checked the magazine safety (did not look worn) and put everything back together. Like magic, the original magazine with its machined follower works every time. Can not thank you enough. I'll know where to start next time this happens.

Since we are on the topic of function can you tell me this. When you pull slightly back on the hammer and it stops in that gap in the sear before full cock ( see pic #4). What is this function? Should the gun be carried in this mode. Does it make the gun safer if it is dropped and the safety is not engaged? Just wondering.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
The Half-Cock position is really a left-over from old percussion pistol days when it was used to load the six-shooter.  Then it became a form of Safety if a Cavalry pistol carried at Full-Cock slipped of the Sear notch and caught the Hammer before it hit the Firing Pin.

Now, even though it is incorporated on most/all exposed Hammer pistols, it (arguably) serves no purpose even though some folks still claim it is a form of Safety.

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »
Thanks for all the information and help Warbird.