Author Topic: Prewar C96 serial numbers  (Read 6409 times)

najort

• View Profile
Prewar C96 serial numbers
« on: March 13, 2018, 03:28:27 PM »
I have a nice prewar c96 serial number 81217.  All numbers match except for the bolt stop (110) and the bolt.  The bolt has no serial number stamped on it.  It does have the double crown over U marking.  Was this common with prewar guns????
Also grips appear to be original but have no serial number on the inside.  Left grip has 26 grooves and right grip has 24.  Replacement/repo???

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Prewar C96 serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum! It should have matching numbers. A picture would go a long way to see what you have but it sounds like you have something that has been messed with.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

najort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »
Attached are pics of the pistol.  Included are pics of where serial numbers can be seen externally as well as the top of the bolt where a number should be.  Hope these are adequate.  If you need more, I can certainly send them.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »
Could you post an overall picture of the right and left sides?
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

najort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
Here are additional pics you requested

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:46:56 AM »
I have a nice prewar c96 serial number 81217.  All numbers match except for the bolt stop (110) and the bolt.  The bolt has no serial number stamped on it.  It does have the double crown over U marking.  Was this common with prewar guns????
Also grips appear to be original but have no serial number on the inside.  Left grip has 26 grooves and right grip has 24.  Replacement/repo???

I was leaning toward it being a Chinese copy but with the additional images I think you are correct in identifying it as a prewar commercial. It has obviously been refurbished with a mismatched bolt stop and an un-numbered bolt. The proof marking is correct. The grips are very likely replacements like the bolt and bolt stop. If they were original they would have the serial number on them and they would show more wear. This example has been thru a lot of use as evidenced by the pitting and what appears to be a mostly patina as apposed to the original cold salt blue finish. There are indications that at some point it was even re-finished.

Regards, 
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

najort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »
I appreciate your help in identification.  Reinforces my original thoughts.  I know it had a great deal of use as the barrel was slick as a shotgun when I acquired it, however I did have the barrel relined by Redman's.  I do look forward to shooting this piece of history.  Thanks again.