Author Topic: "Odd" Broomhandle  (Read 5863 times)

GypsmJim

• View Profile
"Odd" Broomhandle
« on: March 03, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
I have a "Red 9" Marked Broomhandle.  It is a Mauser , WaffenFabric, Oberndorf  A Neckar.  No question it is a 9mm Luger caliber.  No idea if the stocks are original.

The SN on the upper receiver / Barrel is 5074XX, and the SN on the frame is 6538XX.  It appears that the barrel had been cut off at some time, with a new barrel added.  The barrel is "loose", but if turned in tight it shoots OK.

The barrel is "ringed", which is different from anything I have ever seen before.  Also, it appears to have been re-blued, with an anomoly on the sides of the magazine, almost like the bluing didn't take.

What do I have?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: "Odd" Broomhandle
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum! Don't shoot the messenger. What you have is a Frankinbroom! It is not nor was it ever a Red-9. The barrel could be from a Royal clone Broom. The frame is from a M-30 (much later C-96 variation). Your pistol is some ones creation. I hope it did not cost you too much.

Here are the things to look for in a true Red-9, Matching serial numbers 1-135000 (could be slightly higher), rear sight 100-500, intertwined NS on back of hammer and chambered in 9 mm but may or may not have a "9" branded into the grips.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

GypsmJim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
I figured as much, so I'm not disappointed.  What's a "Royal Clone"?  In its present state, what would be a ballpark value?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
The "Royal" is a Spanish copy of the Mauser C-96 like the "Astra". There was a full-auto version of the Royal that had a barrel like yours has.
In its present state, from my perspective, value is for parts only. With a loose barrel I would not consider it safe to shoot. $200-500 as is?

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

GypsmJim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »
The rear sight and NS on the hammer are as you described.  When I said "loose", I meant that the barrel can be unscrewed.  Unlike a vintage S&W where the barrel is pinned.  When the barrel is turned in tight it does not wiggle or come loose by itself.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
The frame serial number is too high for it to of started as a Red-9. If the barrel is not secured and could come loose during use, from my perspective it is not safe to shoot. If it were pinned or soldered that's another story.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

GypsmJim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:15:05 PM »
Thanks for your comments, and the heads-up about the "Royal" version.  The MM34 reference was what I found.

I did a little research on my own and found that Mauser also made a "finned" barrel on the M712 version, which was their fully automatic "machine pistol".

Also did a little searching re. safety and found comments about the bolt stop.  Mine appears to have been replaced.

I have owned the pistol for about 10 years now, and have been shooting it on occasion all along.  What piqued my interest this week was the article in the American Rifleman about Mauser pistols.

All in all it looks like it was a conglomeration of cobbed parts that someone put together some years ago.  It is not import marked, so its not a recent import.

I only noticed the "loose" barrel recently when I was cleaning it a little aggressively.  The bore is actually quite pristine, not a sewer like some I have read about.  Maybe I'll put some JB on the threads and tighten it down securely.

Anywhoot, for $50 at an estate sale (from the widow), $75 for a dealer (to do the NICS and transfer) and $5 to register it on my permit, I have no regrets.  I have a Civil War wallhanger that I paid much more for.

Again, thanks for the help.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 07:35:35 AM »
"I did a little research on my own and found that Mauser also made a "finned" barrel on the M712 version, which was their fully automatic "machine pistol"."

Wherever you found the above statement I believe that it is false. Possibly someone misidentified a MM 34 Royal as a Mauser. To my knowledge Mauser never made a M712 (Schnellfeuer) variation or prototype with a finned barrel. It is good to know that you do not have too much in it and that you enjoy having it. I would imagine it gets lots of curious looks at the range.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small