Author Topic: Late model firing pin spring repl  (Read 4685 times)

jamesc

• View Profile
Late model firing pin spring repl
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
Hi,
Just joined the forum because I've picked up couple of late model HSc's.  Both are American Eagles, 3177 of 5000 in 380, and 159 of 5000 in 32.  The 380 has had some use, but was apparently stored for a long time hammer down, safety off so now there is play in firing pin spring. 

A new one is on the way from Wolff, but I'm missing the trick to get the firing pin out to do the spring replacement.  With safety off, I can slide the firing pin forward all the way, then rotate the safety on, and lift up while easing off on the spring, and the hammer end almost gets clear of the channel, but not quite. A bit of the firing pin end is extended out, and it is an angle in a little bit of a bind.  Seems like forcing it would bend or break it so, I've avoided that.  Any suggestions for getting it out and then back in would be greatly appreciated.

I may carry the 380 once I get it running because it is a sleek little pistol.  The 32 is basically NIB with the full kit including the test target, so it will just wait in the safe.

Thanks,
James

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Late model firing pin spring repl
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum, James.  You will have to remove the Safety to properly remove and install the Firing Pin.  My post in the following will explain the procedure:
http://www.mauserguns.com/forum/index.php/topic,1024.0.html

Any other way will possibly/probably bend or break the FP.  Let me know if there is anything else.

jamesc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
Thanks.  Is there an exploded parts diagram floating around anywhere?  I've had no luck finding one so far.
James

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
Here's the one from our book.  Hope it helps.  This shows a Wartime HSc which only has minor differences on the Frame compared to your 1970s model.  The Slide assembly is essentially the same.  Let me know how you make out.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:48:26 PM by Warbird »

jamesc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the diagram & guidance.  Mission accomplished!

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:51:20 PM »
Glad I could help, James.  Now before you use your HSc for Carry, I would like you to consider this:
http://www.mauserguns.com/forum/index.php/topic,1068.msg4045.html#msg4045