Author Topic: No Serial Number HSC  (Read 10600 times)

kamo64

• View Profile
No Serial Number HSC
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
Hello, new to the forum.  Just inherited an HSC pistol and cannot find a serial number anywhere.  Can someone please help me figure out the history of this pistol?  Photo attached.  Thanks! -Mike
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:22:17 PM by kamo64 »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: No Serial Number HSC
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum, kam!  So, just to confirm, no serial number at the bottom front of the Grip.  No 3 numbers on the Barrel Breech, no 3 numbers on the front bottom of he Slide.

Also, is there any etching or engraving on the Slide ... I can't tell from your photo.  Let me know.

kamo64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:26:16 PM »
Hi Warbird, thanks for the quick reply.

Don't see any serial numbers anywhere.  The engraving on the slide is:

Mauser-Werke
A.G. Obendorf
a.N.
mod HSC
Kal 7.65mm

kamo64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
Added another photo of the diagonal lanyard hole through the bottom of the backstrap. 

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »
Well, from what little I can see and what you have told me, you have an Early Wartime (1940-1942)
Commercial HSc.  It is not marked for Military of Police use.  Generally, it would be classified as a "lunch box special" meaning it was probably stolen from the Mauser factory before a serial number was applied in a workers lunchbox, hence the name.  The magazine is from the Peak Wartime era, i.e., 1942 to 1943.

I can see that the finish is badly corroded from the environment it was exposed to at some point.  That implies that it has not been very well cared for in the past.  The pistol's poor condition, at least externally, will have a severe hit to its value and that includes my next discussion point.

There could be a legal issue here.  Recently made firearms are required by law to be serialized.  I have heard but not seen documentation that unmarked wartime pistols are grandfathered into an exception to that law.  This may only become a problem if you intend to sell it.

Hope all that answers the questions you raised (and some you didn't!).  Anything else, let me know ... I'll be right here.

kamo64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:34:03 AM »
Wow, great info!  My grandfather flew P-47s during the war and more than likely brought this pistol back to the US with him.  Unfortunately, he's no longer with us and I just found the pistol last night going through his belongings.  I'd never sell the weapon, but having the info you provided is priceless to us.   Thanks much!  V/r, Mike

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
I neglected to mention one other thing.  Now that I know he was a WWII Veteran, there is a document authorizing your grandfather to carry this HSc back to the States with him.  It is generically known as a "Capture Paper" although it is titled something like "Authorization ...".  If found amongst his papers and kept with the pistol, it would add $100 to $200 to it's value.

kamo64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »
Thanks again for the info.  Worked on the corrosion issues a bit and thought I'd post some photos of the results.  I also picked up some .32 ammo at Cabelas and was told modern ammo should not be a problem firing in this weapon.  The chamber, barrel, and operation of all parts seems to be sound...any recommendations before I put live rounds through it?  Thanks, Mike

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
Looks like you did a fine job with the corrosion, Mike.  But it still looks like its starving for oil on the inside.  Be sure to get some in there before you shoot or something is liable to break!

Only have two things to say before you go to the range:
1)  Practice your grip.  If your thumb web gets anywhere near the Hammer Guard, you will get "Hammer Bite".
2)  Prepare to really (I mean really) enjoy yourself!  Nothing like a .32 HSc to make your day.

kamo64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
Thanks Warbird.  I'll be sure to oil up the inside and keep my grip solid below the hammer.  V/r, Mike

kamo64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »
Got the pistol all oiled up and went to the range to test it out, pulled the trigger and..."click."  Upon further examination it appears the entire firing pin assembly is missing.  Any suggestions on where I can find a firing pin assembly.  Thanks.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
OK, Kam ... Keep an eye on both GunBroker and eBay Auctions for the FP.  There's none on either right now but they come up all the time.  Be sure the listing is for WWII vintage HSc and not a foreign vendor.

If only the FP is shown without a Spring you can get a new replacement from Wolff GunSprings although you will have to buy the whole Service Pak I for $15.99.  Here are all the websites:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=HSc&Sort=13
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=mauser+hsc&rt=nc&_dmd=2&_pgn=1
https://www.gunsprings.com/MAUSER/HSc%20(EARLY%20MODELS)/cID1/mID40/dID171

One last thing ... I hope you are mechanically inclined because putting in an FP is not an easy "drop-in".  Any questions, let me know and I would be happy to take a look at any listings you find.  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:26:30 AM by Warbird »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
Great looking grips.  Love the tiger striping in them.

Jim
Jim

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
I have a fp I would sell. Not sure if it came out of a ww-2 gun or a post war. Just shoot me a email if you are interested. $45 including shipping in the lower 48.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 02:23:33 AM »
Does it have the WR Inspection Mark on it and, not to be critical of the gesture, but that Spring looks awfully strong (thick?) for the FP?  These are from that "bag-'o-parts" you were asking about, right?