Author Topic: how to dissemble broomhandle wooden stock  (Read 4428 times)

bapsdds

• View Profile
how to dissemble broomhandle wooden stock
« on: July 22, 2018, 03:08:26 AM »
Hey Everybody,

| am looking for information on how to dissemble the wooden stock entirely to restore the wood.

any information is most appreciated and welcome.

thx

Bapdds

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: how to dissemble broomhandle wooden stock
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:40:06 AM »
Wood cannot be "re-stored" it can be re-finished but once it is sanded, wood has been removed and gone forever. That said removing the hardware is basic. A good set of machinist/gunsmith screwdrivers is best to start. There are the nuts that imbedded in the wood for the hinge that I would leave in place if possible. Basically loosen screws and gently remove the hardware.

That said, I would strongly recommend, if you are working on an original stock, a good cleaning and then an application of wax be the most done to retain value. A gentle scrub with a scotch guard pad, toothbrush and Murphy's oil soap, then allow to dry and apply a light coat of wax. I will assume you know how to clean and preserve the metal parts before they are re-installed.

Regards,   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:26:18 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:31:36 PM »
you will need to apply a little kroll to the screw thread on the locking device that connects to the grip and let it soak in. have had to do this every time maybe put some on all screw threads. i also had to buy some replacement screws from the guy over in England cmr  kind of pricey $$$

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »
Henry, Thank you for adding the penetrating oil step. It has been a while since I dismantled a stock and loosening up rusty threads it  is always best to start with some lube.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »
i remembered one other thing i had to do. when i found that the old nut would spin when you tried to turn the screw with a screw driver, i put a little small drop of glue on the nut not on the threads and let it dry. this kept the nut in place and the screw was able to be removed. it worked for me.luck of the polish i guess. :)