Author Topic: Cleaned Pistol and now won't cock  (Read 7990 times)

Brantman

• View Profile
Cleaned Pistol and now won't cock
« on: April 14, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
Greetings.  My first post and, of course, I'm looking for help.  I have a run of the mill, matching number C96 'Bolo'.   I took it apart and clean it.  I put it back together incorrectly and had a time getting the guts back out of it.   I put it back together,  however, now it will not cock. The hammer will not lock.  The safety is not 'feeling' like it is operating correctly, either (but it never did, always tough).  I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I may have gotten wrong (other than taking it apart in the first place) or might have damaged in the process.  I want to have this matching number pistol re-bored and cleaned up, but I need to get it functioning again first. :(

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaned Pistol and now won't cock
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:24:43 AM »
First let me welcome you to the forum. It very difficult to diagnose these types of problems via a forum. Even with pictures it can be hard to tell what the problem is. I can only suggest acquiring a book that describes the process of disassembly and re-assembly with pictures to illustrate the steps. Unfortunately, none come to mind. "System Mauser" by Breath and Schroeder has exploded view diagrams that could be helpful but you can also find the same drawing on line at https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mauser/auto-pistols-mau/1896-broomhandle. I wish you the best in getting it back together and working and hope you have not broken or damaged any parts.

Regards,   
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Brantman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I suspect the sear spring slipped above it's intended position on the sear.   The safety shows signs of filing and has always been 'stiff'.  It will no longer hold the hammer back since I got my meat hooks on it!  Now that I know how to properly put it back together, I may try it all again.  However all are invited to offer possibilities. 

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:43:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Y1dAtQXug this is a pretty good site its helped me

Brantman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 11:00:36 AM »
Well, I took the pistol to a local gunsmith.  It happens that he has one in his shop for bluing and has taken it apart and assembled it without problems.  I believe he can isolate my problem by discovering what I did wrong, or by substituting a part or parts out of the other pistol to determine what I need to replace.  I will post the results when this happens.  Thanks for the encouragement.

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
i have 13 red nines and one schnell. had issues with the selector switch finally figured it out, parts are hard to come by for sure,try to buy whenever i see them

Brantman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »
True dat.  I paid SARCO $45 bucks for an aftermarket safety, which turned out not to be the problem.  Surely, someone out there in cyber space has had a similar problem.  But, I think my 'smith will find it soon.

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:54 PM »
when you took it apart the first time how far did you go in taking it apart. is the hammer spring in correctly .i think its the wishbone looking spring located on the side of the lock frame. also was thinking of the bolt stop being installed backwards good luck let us know what you fine out

Brantman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »
My gunsmith identified the problem as being a "worn hammer".  It appeared to him that some previous owner filed down some internal parts, probably hoping to make the gun's trigger lighter.  Apparently, he took too much off the hammer.  Since it is a matching number piece, I had him repair the hammer by welding a bit of material, and reshaping that area.  It functions properly now, as does the safety (which always gave me problems).  The pistol will now go to auction, as a "new" trigger would decrease the value. It still needs to be re-bored to be a good shooter.  Interestingly, The original grips are 50 numbers off from the gun; 171 rather than 121.  Maybe someone back then had poor eyesight?

commisar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
Brantman -I'm also new to this site and also new to C96 mausers..I'm a Luger guy and wanted a new collector challenge.I had the same no-cock issue with my 1921 Bolo and here's what I found to fix it.No-cock suggests a sear/sear spring /hammer linkage engagement issue so I did the research and found the listed gunsmith Jim Green's C96 D/R video. It shows that the top arm of the hammer pivot must slide over the left projection of the sear while inserting the dolls head section into the sear bar. The hammer pivot tang acts as the sear spring so that the hammer can cock.The assembled Bolo now correctly cocks the hammer and the safety action is positive.
video link: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovG9bE_cwO0
Would also suggest the "A Collector's Guide to Military Pistol & Revolver Disassembly and Reassembly" reference guide.Amazon link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931464502/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HTH
commisar