Author Topic: Where Are YOU?  (Read 6833 times)

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Where Are YOU?
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:20:55 PM »
With well over 500 members now I would expect a lot more participation from everyone.  Surely YOU have a Mauser story to tell or a question to explore.  JUMP IN ... the water's fine and full of friends!  I'm waiting ...

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are YOU?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
I am just an old fart that collected my dad's guns and then the guns that dad gave me to learn to shoot.  I was an ace 10 year old BB gun shooter for a long time, until dad bought me my first shotgun to guail hunt.  We use to have guail in Missouri, thus the Browning A-5.  Then I graduated into the Remington .22 and I took on tin cans in the chat piles around town.  I was one of the best tin can shooters in the area.  Attempted to go to West Point and became the principle appointee, but then I got a call from Army Coach Cahill and said they wanted an All Conference player and had decided to go with alternate No. 8.  So the Black Knights were out and Army ROTC was in my sights at MIZZOU.  There I learned the greatest weapon in the world, the M-1.  Joined the Tiger drill team and I could spin, flip, and pitch that M1 any where and any time.  Dropped it a few 100 times in the process, but learned the toughness of this amazing gun.  Joined the Army in 1969 and learned about some amazing weapons, both individual and crew served.  Give me 5 trained heavy mortar guys and a 3.2" mortar, then support my position with a quad .50 cal. and a rifle squad and I can make some serious noise and sadly kill allot of people.  In other military terms. accomplish the op. order.  After collecting German guns after college, I met a gal that wanted to marry me. Trouble is, I did not want to marry here and she left.  One weekend she came back and my gun collection was gone.   So collecting had to start over.  I got the good fortune to meet a great guy on the internet from Texas many years latter. He and I exchanged emails maybe 5 times a day.  We talked guns, politics, family and everything else under the sun.  I bought a couple of guns from him and learned about some books I needed to own.  He was a wonderful resource that introduced me to a couple of other absolutely wonderful guys that had more knowledge in their little finger, than I had in my head.  I met a couple of local collectors and long distance collectors that wrote books and started collecting the Mauser HSc because of it's WW11 history and untouchable style and exceptional beauty.  I look and sometimes buy other guns, but always come back to my HSc collection, when showing it off.  NO ex-gal friends in that new group.  This forum has given me the opportunity to meet several new devotees.  The collecting community is a great bunch of guys.  I went to the Rock Island Auction last year with a couple of thousand dollars in my pocket last year looking to score.  I realized that is pocket change up there and it is back to the computer searching for deals and meeting new people. What a website and what great people on it!!!   I am pleased to play a small part in it.  Always on the hunt like so many others.  The competition is high for good pieces.  I guess that is some of the fun in this great hobby.   Good luck to all and have a Merry Christmas to my friends and fellow collectors!   IT is Friday.  The day before Christmas eve.  Do we have some new guys that want to return holiday greetings or maybe even talk guns? There is a famous saying by Harry S. Truman, "Too many men and not enough children believe in Santa Claus!"  I think of that this time of year.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:12:56 AM by jcorl »
Jim

jmiles1960

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
Hey guys! I am a 50-something, father of 4, living in Hanover PA. I grew up around firearms from my father and Boy Scouts. We use to buy Mauser rifles at the Sears and Montgomery Wards stores, cases of surplus ammo, those were the days. As I got older, I began collecting Mauser pistols and rifles. My collection is not extensive, but I look for quality and originality in the pieces I acquire.  The history behind these firearms is as enjoyable as the piece itself.  Along the way, the added pleasure has been meeting other collectors and owners, learning and swapping information. I recently found this website / forum. What a great resource. I hope to contribute and be an active member.  Let me know if I can help out in any way.  Best - James Miles

madmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:25 AM »

Hi guys, just got here. Am 60+ and have been shooting handguns in competitions for many years. Recently developed a thirst for WW! information so have bought a 1916 SMLE in .303 and a couple of Gewehr 98s. Am loving the Gewehrs. Hope this site gets up and going. seems to have been a while since any meaningful dialogue was maintained.

Max

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »
Donp326, over 60 years old in Lawrwenceburg Ky.  Alan you already know something of my collection.  But I also have a number Sauer and Sohn model 38 and H model pistols,  plus a few Walther P.38's, PP's and PPK's. 

Duster42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
70 years old and still collecting.
My collecting has slowed down from 10 - 15 yrs ago but I still like the old blued steel and wood German pistols.
Warbird has been a big help to me with my HSc collection especially with the KM production.

Thanks Warbird
U.S. Army Viet Nam Vet '68-69'
NRA Benefactor Member
 Free men do  not ask permission to bear  arms