Author Topic: HSc reassembly  (Read 7689 times)

JHP

• View Profile
HSc reassembly
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
I recently acquired an Interarmco HSc in 380 that had fail to feed problems so I field stripped it to clean it up. When I tried to reassemble it  the magazine safety hits the back of the slide which prevents the slide from going back into battery. I've been fiddling around with it for about a week now. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSc reassembly
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »
I haven't heard of that issue before ... congratulations!  Off the top the only thing that immediately comes to mind is - you don't have a Magazine inserted while assembling the Slide do you?  Also don't forget to have the Safety ON and Hammer cocked (same as dissembling).

I'll give it some more thought.  Meanwhile, waiting to hear an answer from you.

JHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:52:17 PM »
Warbird: Yes, I did try it with the safety on, cocked and the magazine in. I've been trying every strategy I can think of and haven't given up yet. Thanks for your efforts, JHP

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 12:57:53 PM »
After more thought, I just don't see how the Magazine Safety is blocking the Slide unless it is coming off its pin.  Check that it is almost flush with the Frame.  Then check that the Guide Lever (center of the Sear) is all the way down.  Finally, I would like you to take the Barrel out of the Slide and insert it into the dovetail on the Frame.  Your checking for fit here to be sure it is solidly locked into place with no play at all.

Let me know if any of that worked and if you have any questions on the above.  Again, Magazine out, Hammer cocked, and Safety ON when reassembling.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:59:24 PM by Warbird »

JHP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
Warbird: The sear pin is flush with the outside of the frame on both ends and the magazine safety is right against the inside of the frame  The magazine safety is on the pin and there is no wiggle.  It also matches up with the trigger bar on one end and the frame on the other end.

The guide lever is solidly on the sear pin and matches up with the magazine slot. I can't move it when the magazine is in but can push it down when the magazine is out. It moves back up when I let go like it's under spring pressure.

When I took the barrel and spring out of the slide and and installed it on the frame to the point where the magazine safety blocks it, the slide would move up and down slightly when I wiggled the muzzle end. The slide would move side to side a tiny bit when I wiggled it side to side.

Nothing worked to get the slide into battery. Let me know if I haven't answered your questions or if you'd like more information. While I've learned a lot working on this, it might be time for me to ask whether you know of a  good gunsmith who works on HSc's. Thanks again for your efforts, JHP
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:47:54 PM by JHP »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »
You misunderstood my request.  I want you to take the Barrel without the Slide and lock it into place on the Frame.  You are checking that the Barrel locks firmly into the dovetail formed by the Disassembly Latch and the Frame.  If someone replaced the Barrel with a WWII vintage one it will not lock down firmly.  If the Barrel does not lock down, it will cant the Slide preventing it from moving into battery.

I am leaning on this because it is the point where the two major assemblies (Frame and Slide) are joined by the Barrel lock.  The only other thing I can think at the moment is an obstruction in the Slide Rails on the Frame.  You might want to check them with a magnifier.

Finally, some close up pictures of the Slide and Frame would be great if these suggestions do not work.  Let's keep at for awhile before you have to pay a 'smith to look at it.  I have nothing but time to help you with it.

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 06:17:04 PM »
Try to pull the hammer slightly down/back while installing the upper. I've handled some .380s with a notoriosly strong spring pressure on the hammer, which interfered with normal disassembly and reassembly.

JHP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 05:37:40 PM »
Warbird: Sorry about the disconnect.  The barrel fits snugly into the frame and sits flat on the  disassembly latch without any wobble.   I assume the barrel is original because the number on the barrel, frame and slide match.  I checked the rails on the frame and slide with a magnifying glass as you suggested but didn't see anything that would stop the slide from going into battery.

I don't have any digital photo capability, but it may help to tell you that the magazine safety  hits the back of the slide and has worn a bare patch in the finish 1/16" wide and 1/8" high on the left side where the small rectangular cutout joins the larger rectangular cutout in the back of the slide.  I'm in southern Maryland. Anybody near me?

vlim: I pulled the hammer down and back but the magazine safety still hit the back of the slide.

As my next step I'm going to ask my son to try to assemble the pistol just to make sure I'm not doing something really dumb.

I want to let you guys know that I really appreciate you guys efforts. JHP

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
OK ... I'm a believer!  I attached an Assembly Drawing so we are both on the same page.  From what you said, the hook at the rear of the Magazine Safety (Part #07) is hitting/grabbing the Slide on its way back to battery.  Do I have that right?  If so, the rear hook and/or bar of the Safety has to be bent, burred, or cocked somehow for this to happen.  Any indications of that?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:55:37 PM by Warbird »

JHP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
Warbird: Yes, the hook (On the end of part 07) that blocks the trigger bar when there is no magazine  seated, is hitting (Not grabbing) the back of the slide as I described in my last post.  The only thing that changes is that the hook moves up to clear the trigger bar when a magazine is seated. But when the magazine safety moves up it puts more of a block on the slide.The magazine safety (Part 07) looks straight and not bent or otherwise nonconforming- it looks just like the drawing.

Call me mystified, JHP

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
Couple of more things ... did you remove the Trigger Bar when you disassembled the HSc?  Also, there is a long Spring (not coiled) that fits in a groove on the bottom of the Trigger Bar on these New Model pistols (not shown in the drawing).  Would you check to be sure it's there and not behind the Trigger Bar?

JHP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »
Warbird: No I didn't take the trigger bar out. I can't see any spring under the trigger bar.  Do I need to take the left grip off to see it?  JHP

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
Yes ... that would be a good idea.  The long Trigger Bar Spring fits in a groove on the bottom of the Trigger Bar.  I just want to be sure it isn't causing an issue with the Magazine Safety.  Be sure your screwdriver is a close fit to the Grip Screw so it doesn't damage the Screw or the wood of the Grip Panel.

Any chance you could borrow a camera or cellphone (ugh!) from someone so you could take the photos?  I'm sort of flying blind here, grasping at anything that comes to mind since I hadn't experienced this problem before.

JHP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
Warbird: Yes there is a spring under the trigger bar.  It's a single wire that fits in a groove on the underside of the trigger bar. It doesn't appear to be a very robust  mechanism, but it looks like it is functioning as intended.

I'll check around to see if  I can get my hands on a digital camera that can do closeups.

JHP