Author Topic: Removing slide on demilitiarized HSc  (Read 5262 times)

Bart

• View Profile
Removing slide on demilitiarized HSc
« on: September 05, 2018, 06:58:49 AM »
Hi all,

I recently purchased a demilitiarized HSc; I live in the EU and don't have a license (yet). It is a 5th variation military version with a serial that suggest is has been manufactured in 1944. It is in a so-so condition and I want't to take it apart as far as possible to do some cleaning and restoration.

That is were my problem starts: I can't take off the slide and open it. To demil it the trigger mechanism has been welded shut, the barrel has undoubtetly been drilled, the firing pin removed etc. I can move the hammer but it doesn't lock. The main problem is that the magazine has been welded shut inside. As far as I know in order to remove the slide I have to remove the magazine, set the safety, and push the takedown latch.

- Is there any possibility to take of the slide despite these modifications?
- The takedown latch doesn't move in the current situation, is that correct? If it is welded as well I'm pretty lost, but can the gun be reassembled with the latch in a locked position?

I can remove (read: destroy) the current magazine if it would help me opening up the gun. It is still legal then (as long as I block the magazine entry) but this is not something I would prefer.

Any thoughts on this or help would be appreciated!!

Regards, Bart

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Removing slide on demilitiarized HSc
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
Hello Bart, and Welcome to the Forum!  Sad to say, if the Latch is welded you are done.  However, with the Latch welded the pistol could not have been assembled.  So I am thinking that it is just stuck into place by rust or dirt.  Sometimes they are very hard to pull down ... I use a nylon patch holder to bring it down without hurting the finish.  If that does not work, turn it upside down and soak it for a few hours with penetrating oil or (better yet) WD40 if available over there.

With the Latch free, you should be able to remove the Slide even with the Magazine inserted.  Besides the Safety ON, you might have to hold the Hammer back (cocked) also ... with your third hand!

I take it from your description that this Late Wartime HSc has an Army Acceptance Mark (WaA135) on the left side of the Trigger Guard.  Would you confirm that and also provide the complete serial number?  Use "My Messages" to me if you don't want the number made public.  Look forward to hearing from you on the information request and results of freeing the Barrel Latch.

Bart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:19:07 AM »
Hello Warbird, thanks for your answer! I'll give it a try tonight and I'll keep you posted on my proceedings!
For now, the Army Acceptance Mark is visible on the left trigger guard but not very readable (I've some problems attaching a picture....)

The serial is 939537 and combined with the finish and Mark I think it's a 1944 5th variation Army pistol. But I'm in no way an expert ;-)
Bart

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:34:31 AM »
Well ... with the serial number I can tell you that your HSc was produced in December 1944 as part of a large run for the German Army.  The Navy had stopped purchasing the HSc in November so that almost all production went to the Army and various Police organizations.

You may be interested in knowing that over here what you have is called a "DeWaT" for Deactivated Wartime Trophy.  And, by the way, thanks for sharing.

Most photos have to be 72 pixels per inch to download successfully and a width of about 640 to 800 pixels fits our forum screens pretty well.  Continue to look forward to hearing about your progress ...

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 09:29:45 AM »
They welded the gun up for a reason.

Messing with a demilled gun like this without proper paperwork is prohibited in your country.

Any attempts to alter the current state of your HSc are illegal.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:31:54 AM by vlim »

Bart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
Hi Vlim,

Any attempts to alter the current state of your HSc are illegal.

I absolutely agree with you, but since the slide is moving backwards I wondered if it could come off as well. Nothing more than curiosity ;-)

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »
If the latch would still function and the barrel/slide could be removed, the pistol would not meet proper deactivation requirements and would be illegal to own.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  What type of license do you need over there?   Are you close to Epswitch?

Jim
Jim

Bart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 04:43:52 PM »
I've done some reading on the subject (should have done it earlier). My HSc is deactivated in april 2018 so under the new regulations.
@Jim: For a deactivated HSc no licence is needed
@Warbird: thanks for your information, it is good to know a more about the HSc in general and mine in particular!
@Vlim: thanks for your help on the legality of it all; you also helped me preventing to want/do something possibly not legal ;-)

Bart