Author Topic: How to identify real stocks from repros?  (Read 5729 times)

cantgrowup

• View Profile
How to identify real stocks from repros?
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »
I'm new to C96's and have a Standard Wartime Commercial SN 3813XX, and a non-serial numbered wooden case/stock that appears genuine.  I also have another non-numbered stock that looks suspect to me, and it was presented as an authentic stock.  How can I easily identify a replica stock?

Things that make me leery.

1.  Stock is made from one continuous piece of "walnut" with lid and stock showing continuation of grain.  (On my "real stock", the lid grain is perpendicular to the stock.)
2.  The lid release button and mounting screws are both "knurled" but the grooves appear to be hand-engraved instead of stamped or machined.  The lines are not at right angles to each other.  The screwdriver slot on the mounting screw is not centered in the screw, but is slightly to one side. (On my "real stock", the knurls and screwdriver slot look like a German did it.)
3.  My C96 won't fit inside the stock due to width issues, not barrel length.
4.  It looks in too good of a condition to be real.

Anyway, any advice on how to spot fake stocks would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:44:55 PM by cantgrowup »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: How to identify real stocks from repros?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:27:20 AM »
cgu,

All the things you have listed are ways to spot reproduction stocks, like the one shown. It helps to have held some genuine stocks to know what they look and feel like but listing what is correct would be shorter than listing things to look for. This is a good guide to stocks and which is correct for a particular variation.

http://askmisterscience.com/1896mauserbackup/stocks.htm

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Old_C96

• View Profile
Re: How to identify real stocks from repros?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 02:46:28 PM »
For me I always look for....

1.  A quality of wood that is nothing special and certainly not an exotic wood.
2. Screw heads that are rounded
3. An interior quite roughly finished
4. A form quite rounded.  Fakes have a more 'squared finish'..
5. Often you need to see a few genuine shoulder stocks to get a feel for what's real or what's a reproduction...

6.  Buy a quality reproduction for those range days..  Keep the genuine for the days when you want to admire your old war horse..