Author Topic: Late Phosphate HSc  (Read 6737 times)

HWaA

• View Profile
Late Phosphate HSc
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »
Thought I'd post some pics of a late phosphate HSc I picked up on GunBroker a few months ago. I had never seen one for sale that I could afford so I took the chance hoping all was well and the grips were original. The grips were not. The rest of the gun seems fine. Not the nicest finish on the outside but good under the slide. Matching barrel with mint bore. No partial number on slide. Proper test fire proofs on the front of slide as well as on the right side of trigger guard. No acceptance mark on the left side of trigger guard. With the very late serial number of 951246 I'm thinking this HSc was assembled after the French occupation of the Mauser plant using surplus parts. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also was wondering if this number is in the data base.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Late Phosphate HSc
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 05:19:20 PM »
Nice, very late serial number.  Way to go.  No proof on the trigger guard?  I cannot tell by the photos.  Thanks for sharing. 

Jim
Jim

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »
Nothing on the left side. Eagle over N on the right. Here are some more pics. Limited to four per post. Sorry my pics are not better. Limited skills.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 07:56:19 PM »
Your Late Wartime HSc was assembled in April 1945 and French records do not support your theory, i.e., Mauser was still under German control so it must have been in early April before the French occupation.

This HSc would be categorized as Commercial since there are no Acceptance marks and it joins many other Commercials at this time until the end of production that were not marked.  You are very close to the end which was serial number 951939.

I am curious to know why you think the Grips are not original.  I tend to agree but I would like to know your conclusions.  Anything else, let me know.

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »
Thanks for your helpful information on this HSc Warbird. The reason I believe the grips are reproductions is because of what you have supplied on page 36 of your book.
As you can see from my pics these seem to be post-war repos. They seem to have some age to them but no logo of the Franzite Sports Company of Chicago. There is an X on the backside of the left grip panel. I have an identical pair of new ones with the same X I picked up to use when firing any of my HSc pistols. Protect those original wood grips at all cost. Do you have any info as to the last serial number produced in March of 1945? Would have loved to be the fly on the wall at the Mauser plant from April 1st to April 19th, 1945. Must have been very chaotic. So, this gun is German assembled. Do you believe it ever made it out the door of the plant? Or was it stock inventory awaiting shipment? Has this serial number ever turned up in your database? So many questions. Again, thanks for all you do for this forum. History should never be forgotten.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »
I agree with your conclusions, i.e., the Grips were produced in the Post-War era with poor materials.  They do have some significance as an artifact of that period so if you ever replace them with wood or plastic, I would retain them in your collection.

French records of German production in the final months of the war recorded 2,310 HSc pistols produced in March (refer to p.25 in your book).  That would come in at around serial number 950489 (German Army Acceptance mark).

As to your pistol, it was a new addition to our database (thanks for sharing!).  I do not believe it ever left the factory until the French probably put it to use or traded it to a G.I. as war booty.  I think that's all your questions for now, if anything else comes to mind, let me know ... I'm always available.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:08:51 PM by Warbird »

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:26:02 PM »
Close to my 951740, which has neither commercial proofs, nor military or French markings.

HWaA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 07:51:51 PM »
Now that's getting really close to the end. I enjoy the history of these end of German production guns. If you could post a picture of that HSc that would be great.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:12 AM »
I cannot come close to your late serial numbered guns.  Maybe I can get lucky someday.  Stranger things have happened,  Congratulations to you both.

Jim
Jim