Author Topic: Non-Serialized Mauser HSc Pistols  (Read 5046 times)

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Non-Serialized Mauser HSc Pistols
« on: September 07, 2019, 05:35:46 PM »
From time-to-time, a non-serialized HSc, made up of late war parts will surface.  Based on the appearance of the front grip strap, these pistols left the plant un-serialized.  Mark C shows one on his website at http://www.p38guns.com/HScnoserial.htm, listing it as a post-war gun.  Does anyone know the history of these guns?  I understand the history of the Mauser plant as told by Don Hallock and Joop van de Kant in the The Mauser Parabellum book, pages 593-600.  There is no mention of the taking of souvenirs.
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Serialized Mauser HSc Pistols
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 02:41:32 AM »
There is a short period of time in april, 1945 where the confusion between the fall of the Reich and the arrival of the French forces in Oberndorf created the opportunity to get things out of the factory without much problems.

You see sloppy work on WaA markings, then a number of numbered but unproofed pistols before the French restore order and production under French supervision begins.

So a few guns leaving the factory through the back door is not strange given the extra ordinary circumstances.

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »
vlim, thank you for the explanation.  In reading the history of the Mauser plant and the somewhat detailed events of April 1945, I understand the "window of opportunity" for this to occur. I suspected this might be the answer, but unlike the American liberation of the Walther plant, I've never seen any documentation of souvenir taking at Mauser.  According to Hallock and van de Kant, the French entered Orberndorf on April 24, 1945, and they discovered that in the weeks prior to their arrival, all the small assembled arms had been distributed to the military, Volkssturm, or hidden.   Perhaps in their haste, many were unnumbered or some unnumbered guns assembled out of finished parts.  Thanks, again.  Regards,
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
I think its mainly caused by the fact that Mauser had evacuated and stored its museum collection off site. This collection was largely looted by French forces.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
IF only the records could have been saved at that time. 

Jim
Jim

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:21:47 PM »
They mostly were. But were thrown away by Mauser in later years.