Author Topic: Shooting 1914  (Read 5764 times)

nwmousegunner

Shooting 1914
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
Iam new to this forum and to Mauser pistols. I have a model 1914 which I identified as a more common model from between wars. I collect pocket pistols and aquired the model 1914 for my collection. I searched different forums and web sites for imformation. I know everyone is an expert on the internet, but several times posters mentioned not to fire the old mausers. The reasons were fragile parts and availability of replacements, plus no current people trained in repair. I realize the pistol is 95+ years old and I don't plan on shooting it a lot. My question to the more knowledgable members is how much would be considered excessive. The gun seems fairly tight enough and has an excellent bore and rifiling. I don't think ocasionaly shooting three or four magazines through it would hurt the weapon, but I would like an opinion from people more familiar with these guns than I am. Thanks Dave

GonzoGeezer

Re: Shooting 1914
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
I, too, just acquired my first 1914, probably made in 1915.  During my disassembly and cleaning I noticed no damage or apparent excess wear. I also own a 1922 Ortgies, 1923 Walther Modell 4, and 1938 Walther PP.  I have safely shot all of them on several occasions and I intend to shoot the Mauser.  I stick with standard pressure FMJ ammunition, PPU at present, and limit myself to a few magazines per session followed by field stripping and examination.  My other three old timers are none the worse for the experience and I believe the same will be the case for the Mauser. 

I want all my guns to be at least shootable, whether or not I shoot them regularly. If I had landed a NIB 1914 or Feld Marschall von Hindenburg's personal pocket pistol my actions would be different. 

If the gun isn't a rare collectible and doesn't show signs of stress or abuse, I'd shoot it, sparingly.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting 1914
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
Mausers are very well built and a 1914 post war commercial is a common variation. I would have no worries about shooting it. Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small