Author Topic: Mauser HSc .380 Serial number  (Read 12287 times)

timetoshoot

• View Profile
Mauser HSc .380 Serial number
« on: October 29, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
Greetings All: I recently purchased an Interarms, Blued, Mauser HSc 380 caliber with walnut grips, factory box, sleeve and factory target, also 2 magazines. Serial number is 00.8742.  Can anyone help with manufacturing date? Pistol is unfired and I'm not sure I want to shoot it but I just love this gun!! any thoughts? Is gun OK for newer ammo such as Hornady Critical Defense or other, at. al.??
thanks, mike

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mauser HSc .380 Serial number
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »
Your HSc was manufactured in 1970.  I'm a little surprised that the date isn't shown on the Test Target.  If you do have to shoot it, stick with standard velocity ammunition.  The .380 does have a tendency to break parts so you want to minimize this with proper ammo selection and short sessions at the range.

timetoshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
Afternoon Warbird: thanks much for the information!!  When you say the .380 is prone to break parts, do you mean .380's in general or just this HSc pistol in .380 caliber?  In that light would you recommend the Hornady Critical Defense round or not? I'll probably carry this pistol so I'll just shoot 4 or 5 rounds to see where it hits, then load up the mags and put it in the rotation.  Or maybe see how the collector's market is, just can't decide..

thanks, mike

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
Time To Shoot;

I am not familiar with the ammo you describe.  I think the point is being made not to shoot "hot" P+ ammo in that .380 HSc. 

Jim 
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »
Mike, I was referring to the HSc in .380 caliber.  In .32 caliber (as originally designed) it is one of the finest pocket pistols ever made, however, I believe in .380 it is at the very edge of its performance envelope and that's what makes it susceptible to parts breakage.  I have personally experienced breakage of the Trigger Hinge Pin, the Hammer Hinge Pin, and the lower Frame.

As to the Critical Defense round, I have no knowledge of it but if it creates more muzzle velocity (chamber pressure) than a standard .380 ACP, I wouldn't use it.