Author Topic: Want Suggestions for Completing Build  (Read 7452 times)

country0129

Want Suggestions for Completing Build
« on: November 04, 2013, 03:52:23 AM »
I have just acquired the following rifle: Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909 30.06 by Dutch Waffen-UND Munitionsfabriken Berlin: All parts matching serial numbers but floorplate: S/N: B0981
It has the bent bolt handle, appears to have the stepped barrel. The crest should be visible in the attached photographs. The receiver is stamped 30.06. I have a nice Manlicher stock on it. I want to, if rebarrelling is NOT an issue, have the rifle D&T, add the lowest scope mounting equipment possible, preferrably a rail, and keep it. The person from whom I got it has had it for about 15 years, and he says that he's successfully shot commercial 30.06 rds through it. Does having the stepped barrel indicate a 7.65 bore? Is it cost effective to have the barrel slugged for measurement? Is it safe to contiune firing commercially available 30.06 rds? What is the best mounting for a 1" x50mm scope?
This is a beautiful rifle which I aim to keep if everything seems to be right with it. Any suggestions will be considered, researched, and hopefully used to make this something to pass down to my progeny.
Thanks!

country0129

Re: Want Suggestions for Completing Build
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:53:33 AM »
Additional photographs:

MULE72

Re: Want Suggestions for Completing Build
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:28:48 AM »
You can use a product called "Cerrosafe" (sold by Brownell's) to determine your rifles bore diameter.It is a metal alloy with a very low melt temp.First and foremost be sure the rifle is unloaded,as a matter of fact,it would be best to remove your bolt to do this.Use a padded vise or some other stable means to support the rifle muzzle up.pack your barrel with cotton to a depth of about 2" (if checking from the muzzle).Straighten out a paper clip and re-bend a small hook on the end,slide that (the small hook) into your barrel,be sure there is enough protruding to remove the cast with.If you want to cast your chamber you can do that also but you have to deal with working through the receiver.I keep mine in an old cut off pop can.I clamp the edge of the can with a pair of locking pliers and use a plumbers torch to heat and melt it with.the aluminium can works great as I can form a spout in the edge of it to pour the product with.Now you melt the "Cerrosafe" and carefully/slowly pour it into the end of the muzzle being careful not to spill or overfill the thing.When you have done this walk away and let it cool off on its own.When it is cool to the touch (the barrel) you should be able to use the end of the paper clip to pull the casting out of your barrel.Don't forget to remove the cotton wadding if it does not come out with the casting.Now you can use your calipers or a micrometer to measure the lands and grooves of the barrel on the casting.The Cerrosafe is re-usable and you can simply put it back in the pop can for next time.I know all of this may seem like a lot of trouble but it is a sure fire way to check the bore diameter and you may need to do it again in the future.Best of luck,MULE.