Author Topic: Mauser accurate enough for coyote?  (Read 7314 times)

baker1

Mauser accurate enough for coyote?
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
The local gunshop has a mauser 98 in that has been sporterized  at some point,  it has see through scope rings that appear to have been either drilled and tapped or welded on, the work looks professional. it does not have a lot of markings however it does have S/42K on the receiver as well as 8891 which I am guessing is the serial number. The bore looks good and the trigger and the action is the smoothest action I have ever felt, but it has been well used as the bluing is wore in some places.  My question is were I to put a scope on it would the rifle be accurate enough to put a round in a coyotes chest consistantly at 200-300 yards? Think about 5-7 moa.

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Mauser accurate enough for coyote?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
The rifle was made by Mauser Oberndorf in 1935, yes 8891 is the ser nr.  IF there is a letter after or below, it is also part of the ser nr. 
You should be able to do that with out a scope - at least out to 200 yds!!!  IF not you need to practice a lot! 
I have killed cyotes, antelope & deer with both a K98k and a K 43.  I do not hunt with anything but an 8mm.  I also do not use a scope! 
Sarge 
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

mauserfan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »
Hell yes it is accurate enough for coyote!  It's one of the most accurate weapons of it's type. 
German engineering!
Never Enough Mausers!

Trap4570

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
I have seen dark bores that were nail drivers.  I see no problem out at those ranges. I am assuming the barrel has not been changed and the cal. is still 8mm.  If the scope mounts feel secure then I would purchase a good scope to mount on it.  The only thing that might affect accuracy with factory ammo is the headspace.

capnkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
   PRACTICE!!! is the only way to determine what that particular gun can do, and it will
only do what the shooter is capable of getting from it. If all you can get is "5-7 moa", you
should probably call it a truce and let the 'yote go instead of just crippling it.