Author Topic: peened K98s  (Read 8428 times)

54rndball

peened K98s
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
I see some Russian capture K98s with the peened markings going for $399. It seems like a lot of money for a rifle of little collecting value. How to evaluate such a piece and what is the going rate for good quality K98s these days?

Deputy

Re: peened K98s
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
Yes, peening really pisses me off too. But a Russian capture rifle really isn't very valuable as a collector unless it is 100% matching with original stock and in pristine condition. Even then, you won't get the same price for it that a rifle without the capture "X" or import marks can get.

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:52:44 PM »
There is no such thing as "a Russian capture rifle that is 100% matching with original stock and in pristine condition." 
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Deputy

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
LOL..."never say never". When you do, you are usually proven wrong eventually. While a 100% matching rifle would certainly be a rare bird, it IS possible they exist. As to no pristine condition, I have two that I would put in that category. Bores are bright and shiny with sharp lands and grooves and no rust or wear at all. They look like they just came off the assembly line. Yes, they are re-finished. That is SOP for Russian imports. If you want a nice Russian import, you gotta search for them. Gunbroker is NOT where you will find them. :)

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
It is also possible that der fuhrer is still alive since no one has ever seen the body.
I read "pristine" as being "Original" and so my statement stands!  Also I have been collecting K98ks since long before the RCs became available and there has Never been an all matching "pristine" condition RC X marked rifle ever advertised!  They have ALL been reworked and are mismatched numbers. 
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Deputy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:35:52 PM »
Then you read it wrong. You can have a pristine 1969 Mustang Mach 1 and it certainly won't be "all original". Pristine refers to the overall condition of the rifle, not anything to do with originality.
If nothing else, many Mausers went through rebuilds during the war. And after the war the Bolsheviks did all kinds of things to them. Also you are only ONE PERSON among how many collectors/shooters? You can only relay your own personal experiences.