Author Topic: c96 coloring enquiry  (Read 5712 times)

ipanos

c96 coloring enquiry
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:24 AM »
Hi guys and congratulations on this forum!

I recently acquired a c96 with all matching parts which belonged to my grand father. The pistol had been standing in our destroyed stone built cottage betwen some wall stones and has been exposed to weather and full rain for probably more than half a century. Parts were severely jammed and after many long sesions of electrolysis it is now disassembled and derusted. Surprisingly, corrosion is limited to a very acceptable level but all original coloring is naturally gone. I have successfully identified it as a German built 1912 model.

Now, two enquiries I have:

First, the rear sight elevation block system will need to be replaced as is the only part that corrosion has completely destroyed it. Can you recommend a source for parts, preferably not modern immitations?

Second, I am trying to figure the original coloring of some parts. After having browsed a million pictures online this is what I managed to observe:

Extractor, bolt stop, lock frame stop, rear sight elevation block mechanism are blued.

Barrel, receiver, safety lever, trigger, lanyard ring are blackened.

Bolt, hammer, magazine floor plate release pin, rear sight and all internal parts are left uncolored.

Could someone please confirm or correct all this as i will soon be hot bluing the parts and i would like to have a result as close as possible to the original combination of coloring.

Thank you in advance,
Pete

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: c96 coloring enquiry
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »
There are no hot/salt blued parts on a C-96 from 1912. Most parts are cold/rust blued. The parts you list as being blued are actually nitrate or fire blued and some parts are in the white polished bare metal whle other have a strawed finish.
With it having been in the condition you describe you will not harm value if you don't get it right but if you want a quality rehab try the Broom closet / the Gun Rack in Stark, FL. He does an excellent job at a fair price.

Regards,
B. Mason
a.k.a. 1914mauser
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

ipanos

Re: c96 coloring enquiry
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:05:31 AM »
Thank you for the prompt respond.

Unfortunately, the FL option is not an option for me, as I am based on the other side of the ocean (Greece). Nevertheless I am confident that I will be able to do the coloring process here as well. Given that, and regardless the collective value of my gun (due to its condition), I would like to be as accurate as possible. So if someone could list which items are fire blued and which are strawed I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Pete