Author Topic: Unusual looking C96  (Read 6974 times)

clevolver

Unusual looking C96
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:36:15 AM »

I have wanted a C96 since I was a little kid, and recently learned of one available locally for sale.  I do not know the seller personally, and they claim not to know much about the gun, having obtained it recently through inheritance.

I would be interested to buy but only if I can determine with certainty the value of the piece. I don't mind if it a desirable gun to a collector or not, and would almost prefer a shooter to a collectible. 

A few notes:
  • It does not come with holster/stock or tools.
  • It appears to be refinished.
  • The barrel is unusual. It looks longer than a typical C96, and the front sight is not of a type I have seen before on a C96. Can anyone identify this?
  • The hammer is unusual, with a larger than normal loop.  I have seen this before, but do not know the significance.
Questions:
  • How can I tell if this is a genuine Red 9, as opposed to a re-chambered gun or an imitation/counterfeit.
  • How can I tell between a C96 chambered in 9mm Mauser vs. 9mm Luger?
  • How can I assess the mechanical condition? What do I need to look for?
  • Are there any other distinguishing features or marks that I should look for in order to identify which variant it is?
  • What would a fair value be, assuming it is in fine mechanical condition?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual looking C96
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
It is not a red-9, it has been re-barreled, re-blued. It has a large ring hammer. It has "0" collector value and is worth around $500 if it shoots/functions well.
Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Bigboy99

• View Profile
Re: Unusual looking C96
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
It is very interesting how someone took a rare Von Lengerke & Detmold marked C96 and turned it into a non-collector value C96!
Bill

There are no problems which can not be solved by the application of high explosives, Teflon tape or WD-40 but not necessarily in that order.