Author Topic: portguese  (Read 7402 times)

saxon

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
portguese
« on: May 03, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »
I am new to collecting these 1910s.I do have several with the diamond on the rear frame and didn't find out until recently they are Port contract.
Most have a letter on the right trigger guard.What does it mean? Are all Port stamped with a letter?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: portguese
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 07:41:31 AM »
Saxon,

It was an assumption that the circled triangle marking, found on Mauser 1910 pocket models, is indication of a Portuguese contract by Roy Pender in his book "Mauser Pocket Pistols 1910-1945. The assumption was based on similar markings found on Portuguese lugers. Since Pender's book was published many Mauser collectors have searched for evidence to prove this assumption but the volume of examples with the markings seems to be proof that the marking has some other meaning. Still many still refer to the marking as a Portuguese contract. I have come to refer to the marking simply as the "circled triangle" and group it with the other rear frame markings that are found on the .25 caliber pistols. I have a theory about these markings but currently no proof to prove it. The other markings you describe are most likely production/inspection markings placed by factory workers indicating the stamped part meets tolerances or passed an inspection.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

saxon

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
Thank you very much...what is your theory?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
You'll have to wait till I publish something.
Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

saxon

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
Put me on the list please...