Author Topic: Russian capture Mauser HSc?  (Read 5014 times)

kotkinjs1

• View Profile
Russian capture Mauser HSc?
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
Hi all, I recently picked up a 1943 Mauser HSc with bakelite grips. Has electro-penciled numbers on the right frame and mag bottom matching the stamped SN on the grip front strap. Also has peened waffenampts (except the nitro proof eagle by the muzzle) and a big X right above the stamped SN on the front strap. With K98s I usually associate all these things with a Russian capture. Does this look legit? Thanks!

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Russian capture Mauser HSc?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:31:36 PM »
I would have to say that it looks like an authentic VOPO (Russian Capture) HSc.  If you care to compare it with the one on Mark Castel's excellent site I think you will see enough similarities to verify it yourself:
http://www.p38guns.com/814389.htm

By the way, the Grip panels are also authentic Post-War manufacture.  The air bubbles are a dead giveaway since the same molds were used as Wartime production but they did not quite have the material formula right.

We have recorded a few other former Army (Eagle 135) HSc's around the same serial number as yours that were Russian Capture, including the one on Mark's website.

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
That is a cool HSC that would fit in my collection. Very used but it still looks good

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
Dittos from me.  I like the looks of it.  Congratulations.

Jim
Jim