Author Topic: Trying to be sure this is a Mauser 43  (Read 9504 times)

integrity1957

• View Profile
Trying to be sure this is a Mauser 43
« on: December 24, 2014, 04:29:30 PM »
I have a Spanish Mauser and I'm trying to make sure of the model. I believe its a model 43, but not sure. The description is as follows:
the rifle has 7.62 stamped on left side of ring.
it is a large ring.

it has Fabrica De Armes,  La Couna 1952 stamped on top of ring and also what looks like an eagle crest.
on the top of the barrel behind the sight it says: armamentos 7.62x51.
on left of chamber is: y-3258  s/n i suppose.
has a straight bolt.

barrel is 23 1/2 in. long.
on bottom side of breach it says;  ^ or v 7337
numbers do not match on this rifle and has been sporterised.
Id like to try and find and original stock for it is why I need to know the model and any info on the rifle. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.. thanks

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:49:04 PM by integrity1957 »

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to be sure this is a Mauser 43
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
Yes it is a Mod 43.  The stock is very similar to a K98k stock.                                                                                                  Good luck finding a stock!                                                                                                                                                             Sarge

Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

integrity1957

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »
Thank you.

Oerdescu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:40:44 AM »
Hello for everyone

I have the same issue. I bought a Mauser at the end of last year. I love to use it, but I’m not sure about the correct type. I bought it as a “Spanish Mauser” but I’m afraid this isn’t it.

According to my examination it should be M43 or converted to M43 from M1916.

Please, help me to be able to establish the exact type and the approximate (or possible) manufacturing date. I attached a photo and please refer to my detailed list in below.

Caliber: 7,62x51
ID marks:             on the left side of receiver: serial number “T-10797”
                                on the right side “CaL. 7,62” (I read that the Israel Defense Force marked the converted rifles with this mark, after modification to 7,62x51)
Front site: open
Rear site: tangent type
Gas hole: No gas hole on the left side of receiver

...and a question: can I use the modern .308 cartridges for this rifle or is it too strong for it? I've shoot 25 shots without any damage or malfunction.

Thank you.

BR;
Daniel

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:27:39 PM »
Well, to give an accurate answer to your question we need to see all the receiver markings - top & left side.                               It doesn't appear to be an Isreali rework, more likely a S. American country.  Several of them reworked their Mausers to 7.62 Nato.                                                                                                                                                                                                 I'd say that, yes it is safe to shoot Nato/308 ammo thru - both military & commercial, but I would not shoot any hot hand loads to be on the safe side.                                                                                                                                                                  Sarge

Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”

Oerdescu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 02:25:07 AM »
Well, to give an accurate answer to your question we need to see all the receiver markings - top & left side.                               It doesn't appear to be an Isreali rework, more likely a S. American country.  Several of them reworked their Mausers to 7.62 Nato.                                                                                                                                                                                                 I'd say that, yes it is safe to shoot Nato/308 ammo thru - both military & commercial, but I would not shoot any hot hand loads to be on the safe side.                                                                                                                                                                  Sarge

Hello Sarge

I can answer your question easily, because there are only the caliber and the serial number marked on receiver. The top of it is absolutely clear. There is nothing on it.

Meanwhile I checked the small stamp on my rifle yesterday. Picture attached.

Thank you.

BR;
Daniel

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »
Didn't get a photo.                                                                                                                                                                            I'd guess that what you have is a scrubbed German or Polish Mauser sent to the Franco forces in the mid/late 30s.                     Sarge 

Oerdescu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
I've taken photos of the disassembled rifle. I tried to show all signs, marks, letters and numbers punched into the metal parts.
I hope pictures can help to establish the origin of my Mauser.

Pics can be found here: https://plus.google.com/photos/112688132580618521800/albums/6133191023569319937?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

Thank you guys!

BR;
Daniel

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »
The only thing I can say for sure is that it is a late 50s rebuild with a new bbl chambered in 7.62 Nato cal.                                  It was probably originally a Mod 91 or 93 Mauser as evidenced by the bolt, as these are what most of those rebuilds were.    Sarge