Author Topic: Kar98b "S28" version with SS-TV marking  (Read 10595 times)

konopka

• View Profile
Kar98b "S28" version with SS-TV marking
« on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:25 AM »
Hi everybody,
What do you think of this - IMO very rare - Mauser Kar98b (very early "S28" version with blank receiver and S28 marking on several parts, same serial number on every parts, blank bolt but with light matching (hand)numbering?) with "SS-TV" marking under the barrel? I think it has been somehow "rechambered" in a 8x54 S caliber, turning the barrel so that the SS-TV marking, once just visible above the wood, is now on the lower part of it - and so invisible. The french deactivation (AN + crown marking)  :'( made the "V" disappear  >:(
Do you think this SS marking could be genuine (I never saw such one on a gun)?
Thanks in advance for your comments and thoughts  :) Message

This particular specimen appears in "Karabiner 98k Volume 1: A collectors guide to the development and production of the German K98k service rifle up to 1938" by Michael Steves and Bruce Karem (N°182a with "h" and 3 "O" with crown), but without any mention of the SS marking:

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Kar98b "S28" version with SS-TV marking
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Great photos, with an interesting rifle.  I wish I had the answers for your questions.  I would love to have that rifle.  It looks like a real keeper to me.   Thanks for posting photos of it. 
Jim
Jim

JohnS3

• View Profile
Re: Kar98b "S28" version with SS-TV marking
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »
Yes it's a very interesting rifle and thread. It's a shame that it was deactivated. I thank God and our country's founders that we have the right to bear arms. Thanks for posting.
Best regards,
John