Author Topic: Czech Mauser Identification  (Read 15831 times)

dfw147258

• View Profile
Czech Mauser Identification
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »
Hi to all, I was wonder if the forum can assist me in identifying a particular Mauser. I recently acquired a Czech Mauser but I have a difficult time trying to find out if it’s a VZ-24 or one of BRNO export models. The all of the identification marking has been grounded out expect for the “Z” in a circle on the right side of the receiver. The Mauser has a turn down bolt handle but not turn down all the way to recess the rifle stock. The front sight is similar to what I seen on older Models like the Turkish 36/46 Kale and the rear sight matches some of the South American variants.  The rifle and barrel total lengths are the same as the VZ-24 Czech Mauser and both serial numbers barrel /receiver match (1xxx E) once I removed the stock and looked underneath but the rest of the rifle’s parts are missed match. Also I could not find any import marking on the barrel or the receiver.  Please let me know if the Forum requires any addition information because I am stumped. I looked all over the internet and I could not find another mauser model that matches with the one I have. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:43:08 PM by dfw147258 »

Wolfie

• View Profile
Re: Czech Mauser Identification
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:05:41 AM »
I did some checking on my available resources (BOOKS!  :o ) and I believe, not absolutely positive, you have possibly a Yugoslav M1948. By your description, the Slavs would build their Mausers using parts from all other sources; German, Czech, Turk, etc. They would often remove all identifying marks except serial numbers and then restamp their crest....sometimes! A very strong indicator that it is a Yugo is the bolt knob will be flattened on the inboard (stock side) side of the knob. HOWEVER, most Yugos I have seen have the insert style stock for the sling as where yours appears to be a ring type sling which is a bit unusual but not entirely impossible for a Yugo. Again, I could be wrong but most of the signs point in that direction.

dfw147258

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »
I found out from one of the Czech Mauser forum that I have a Polish Mauser on a (what could possibly be) VZ24 Mauser stock. Sadly there is not a lot of information on the Polish Mauser and what I gathered I kind of piece meal together some information.  But what I do know is the Polish Arsenal scrubbed out info on the top of the receiver and sold then to Spain during the Spanish Civil War. Also a dead give away it's a Polish Mauser are the dowel rods used on the hand guard to re-enforced the the beech wood.

Total and barrel length is the same as VZ24
Bolt handle is turned down like the wz29 Calvary model.
By the way the stock finish has been stripped.
Front and rear sights are the same as ws29
Barrel / receiver Serial Numbers are matching (1XXX E) but all the other parts are non-matching.
Receiver has been scrubbed expect for the “Z” in a circle on the right side.
And of course the Hand Guard has the dowel rods for re-enforcement but not the stock.

My question is based on the matching serial number on the barrel /receiver can the Rifle year of manufacture be determine and does anyone know what the going price for this Mauser at its current conditions?

I am seriously thinking of picking up a hard copy of "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" to help out in finding some more about the Polish Mauser.

Here is a link from another forum which I posted more pics of the Mauser

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=142554

When I have some time I'll post more pic of the part numbers I found on the Bolt and front sights of course there are non-matching

Let me if the forum requires any additional information or questions.  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:34:14 AM by dfw147258 »

Wolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »
Very interesting. My book doesn't even reference a Polish Mauser but then again, it isn't a Mauser specific book. Sounds like you're going to be spending some time deep in the interweb?  8) 

Value can be a tough one. I usually use the gun auction sites and Armslist as a guide and go from there. Interestingly, I have found your location can also have a determination of gun value or perhaps i should say how much someone is willing to spend on a Mauser.

I concur about a good reference book, I'm thinking I need to add to my printed library!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:22:14 PM by Wolfie »

dfw147258

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
I was seeing on Gunbroker has high $1300 for a K29 and $385 for one with a scrubbed receiver with matching parts including stock (which can all go higher at the end). This info gathering has turned into internet detective work and by the process of illumination I found some info to be incorrect by verifying secondary sources and some to be right on the money. 
I have read numerous Surplus Rifle Forums to piece together some kind of history on the Scrubbed Polish Mauser Odyssey. I may have a working theory based on what the Russian did to all the Mosin Nagants after WWII. It may explain how I ended up with non-matching parts and a Czech stock. Many Polish Mausers were covertly  sold to Spain during the Spanish Civil War.  Then the Spanish or someone else re-arsenal or refurbish all the rifles and sold them to the Military Surplus Market to fund the rebuilding of Spain. They must of came here before the required import stamp in 1968 and sold to retailer like Sear (the Wally World of its day) for the civilian market. The K29 on Gunbroker for $1300 has a serial number of 8659g from Radom circa 1931. At least I can hope that my barrel / receiver can date back to 1931.

I am hoping someone here can concur with my theory or come up with some facts because it’s a mystery to me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:49:13 PM by dfw147258 »