Author Topic: Questions about the Mauser Model 1910  (Read 9686 times)

Deeds not Words

• View Profile
Questions about the Mauser Model 1910
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
Hi all - New to the group.  My father liberated a Mauser Model 1910 from a German Officer at the end of WWII.  Recently, I got the urge to see if it would still fire.  My father thought that it was manufactured in the 30's or 40's.  When I took it to the range today, I found out that it was a much earlier model.  I brought a box of 25 cal ammo and fired it in the first time in about 70 years.  The problem is that it misfired every 4 to 5 rounds.  The primer was dented by the firing pin but the round did not fire.  I'm thinking it's the firing pin spring and, since it would fail to feed, I'm also thinking magazine spring.  It fired well and was accurate, a good, small handgun.  Any suggestions or thoughts for the veterans in the group.  Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Jim

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about the Mauser Model 1910
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
Hi Jim,
Welcome to the forum. I could tell you more about your Mauser pocket model if you could provide the serial number. That will help me place age and variation. You might want to know what you have and value before you start replacing parts. Many times people will store these pistols cocked because they don't realize they are and over time this will weaken the striker/firing pin spring. I would hold off on the mag spring for now too. A picture would give me some idea as to condition which will help for an evaluation.

Regards,
Burgess
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Deeds not Words

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:10:31 PM »
Hi Burgess,

Thank you for your reply.  The serial number is 99912.  The weapon has always been stored with the upper receiver forward and the firing pin in the uncocked position.  I tried to post a picture using my cell phone but the file was too large.  I'll dig out my other digital camera and take a picture that is a small resolution. 

Regards,

Jim

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
Jim,
The serial number places it in the 1910/14 New model variation 1914-1918. Yours dates to 1917 for year of manufacture. You could try to gently stretch the striker spring before you replace it. As for the other springs if you replace them keep the old original springs with it as a collector might prefer to have the original parts. You could try Wolfsprings.com for new replacement springs. If it has a plastic grip that is not damaged be very careful not to damage it. They can be very brittle with age and easily chipped or cracked when handled. I wait for a picture to value but most in very good condition are in the $300-400 range. A picture will help me see if it is in this range. Shooting is your choice, it is well made and not a rare variation but if damaged, parts can be hard to find and pricy. Any damage will hurt value.

Regards,
Burgess
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

Deeds not Words

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »

hi Burgess,

I finally have some pictures for you to look at. 

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:13:24 AM »
Jim,
I can say for sure that the grip has been replaced with a homemade but well done replacement. The finish has some issues to so value is in the $200-250 range. It would be excellent for shooting.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

Deeds not Words

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
Hi Burgess,

Thanks for all of the information.  It is most appreciated.  As far as the Mauser goes, it will stay in the family and I'll take it out from time to time and let the old warrior bark (but not too much ).

Regards,

Jim

Cleanharry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:34:27 PM »
Wolff spring challenge. Bought a service pack for the 1910, serial number 10063. The striker spring was most important to me, but it doesn't fit. It is longer than the original, but I could make that work. The problem is that is a bigger diameter and doesn't fit into the striker cylinder... You know how the back of the striker is hollow to allow the spring to slide in about a half inch. That half inch, plus the extra length, doesn't allow the slide to move back enough to lock open. I did the stretch that Burgess recommended on my original... Have a call into Wolff... I will report the outcome.

The whole reason I wanted the springs was because I experienced some light strikes, but while I'm at it... The recoil spring they sent is also substantially longer than the original. I got it in and working, but now I'm thinking it might be too strong, and... Wrong.

Just a heads up for those who might be going this route!