Author Topic: I need help with identification.  (Read 18421 times)

brlefty

• View Profile
I need help with identification.
« on: July 05, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »
Hello. I have a 7.65mm Mauser with serial 78xxxx. I think this is 1942 and considered Third Generation Army based on M135 marking. It has a little rust and worn grips with tattered holster. Could anyone advise if I am correct in my assumptions, and approximate value?
thank you!

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with identification.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Briefty.  To answer your questions you will have to provide a complete serial number.  Also better pictures would allow me to give you a better valuation of your HSc.  In the meantime, I can tell you that the Magazine and Holster you show were not made for an HSc.

Looking forward to hearing further from you.

brlefty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »
Hello warbird - thanks for your reply.
S/N 780624
The magazine does fit the gun, as I removed for the pic.
What pic(s) would you need?

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »
The magazine looks to be for a 1914 Mauser and while it may fit the gun its not how it was originally equipped. My guess is the holster is also a 1914 holster.
Have you taken the gun apart to see if the serial numbers all match?

brlefty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:47:03 PM »
Hi pardt - I am having a heck of a time with my reply, but Thanks for trying to help me out! I have 5 shells that fit the mag, but don't know if they will load. On the base of the grip next to the mag release there is a k. When I disassembled I found the last 3 digits - 624, of the s/n in 2 places - inside the slide and on the machined part that holds the spring. 

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:36:54 AM »
Sounds like your example is matching.  Your holster is interesting, worn but interesting.  Do you have a photo of the back side of it?

Jim
Jim

brlefty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:10:19 PM »
There is no stamping or embossing anywhere on the holster.
Based on the condition of this pistol, which I would rate barely as good, would any of you hazard a guess at its value? I appreciate all the input, as I had no Mauser knowledge except what I have learned since yesterday!

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »
I wanted to see where the closure stamp was stiched.  That tells me a little about the holster, even without a marking.  I will let others comment on value, but that wrong mag hurts the value to me.  Whatever the value is, deduct a $100 or so for a correct war era mag.   It does look like you have one good grip.  Is the other side grip as solid and not broken?

That is good information to have. 

Jim

Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »
OK ... you're learning as we move along.  All matching serial numbers is a good sign.  Clear pictures of the right and left side is next to determine value.  Jim is absolutely correct that the missing Magazine will affect this value by about $100 to $150 which is the current market replacement cost.  By the way, production date for your HSc is July 1942.

Finally, I sense that you are confused about the right ammunition.  7.65mm = .32 ACP caliber so any modern .32 ammo will fit and fire from your HSc.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:07:48 PM by warbird »

brlefty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »
Gents - I did understand the 7.65/32 cartridge situation, but I didn't follow the magazine subject - 1914 vs HSC - how do you tell apart?
Anyways - I attached a few more pics for your perusal. Thank u!

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
Terrible photos since I can't make out the markings.  But you said it had Army Acceptance Mark so from that and in the condition it appears to be, I would say it was valued at about $500 less the cost of the Magazine that was discussed.  You can look on eBay for the proper Magazine at http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=mauser+hsc&rt=nc&_dmd=2 or on GunBroker.com under Search HSc.

Hope that helps.  Anything else let me know.

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
I also would value it around $500. For kicks and grins I tried a 1914 mag in a hsc and I can see that with a little modification it would work.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »
I edited your poor quality photos with some software.  Here is the result.  Just because a mag  from another model
fits and functions does not help the value.  It just makes the example a "shooter". 

I like your holster.  It is not Army.  Too bad it is in terrible shape.  The clousure stamp is fully attached to the rear of the holster.  Only one manufacture did that style.  You do not want to shoot that gun with those grips on it.  They are old and brittle, but still in tact.  You run the risk of running a good pair of grips. Get some post war grips for $20.00, if you are wanting to shoot it. 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:34:23 PM by jcorl »
Jim

brlefty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »
You guys are too good at this, but now I have learned enough in the last few days to be somewhat hooked on nuance!
How could you tell the magazine was wrong? If I was going to buy the right one I sure would not want to be duped.
Would I dare try to shoot with it 'as is'? 

Thanks again,
Brian

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
Brian,

Never tried to fire an HSc with that model of mag.  It may or may not feed correctly.  May not feed at all.  I attach some photos of a late war HSc magazine.  Please don't ruin your nice wood grips.  They look too good to be risking recoil.  They may hold up just fine, but you are rolling the dice on $150 worth of original grips.  There is a nice resource document that you should own distributed by Legacy Collectables.  It is written by Alan Burnham with contribution from Peter Theodore.  It is affordable.  If you are going to collect the Mauser HSc, you should own this book.  Warbird told you where to locate the proper mag. 

Jim 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:01:57 PM by jcorl »
Jim