Author Topic: Grip Authentication  (Read 5881 times)

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Grip Authentication
« on: July 15, 2015, 01:06:46 AM »
A fried of a friend purchased a refinished Mauser HSc recently as a shooter, and it is equipped with the grips pictured.  I want to buy the grips, but not comfortable that they are original.  I know there are now reproductions that have proper inside the grip markings.  Any opinions on these?
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Grip Authentication
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:24:51 AM »
Hello Roger.  The new reproduction Grips are quite good from everything I have seen of them.  Frankly, the only way I can come up with to determine authenticity is some wear on the outside.  Your pictures present a pristine outer surface so I would be very skeptical.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:53:21 AM »
I agree with Alan.  They look great.   Too great.   I don't care for the "shine" on them.  I think they may be reproductions. 

Jim 
Jim

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »
I have both and the repros are very good, that said it is my opinion that the one pictured are reproduction. It is hard to explain what to look for but Alan's and Jim's observations are realistic. I would say originals have a deeper luster, a more even shine. Wear is a good indicator but could also be created. I have also heard it said that the material is slightly softer than the original but I do not know how one would measure that.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:51:15 AM »
Alan, Jim, Burgess, thanks for the assessment.  I too was nervous about the pristine exterior on a 70 year old grip; thus the posting.  Every other set I have seen that I believe to be original have usual handling and small scratches. As pointed out, these do not.  The inside is quite good, which used to be a good indicator, but the repro guys are past that.  Harder and harder to tell.  I'll pass on these, thanks again for the input.
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com