Author Topic: Trying to make Late 380 HSc reliable  (Read 8317 times)

vwpieces

• View Profile
Trying to make Late 380 HSc reliable
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »
I have the Later 01.35*** Interarms I believe was made around 1973. Not a Collector but in VG condition. First time out it was pretty awful trying to get it to function. FT Feed almost every round with PMC Bronze.

I acquired some 380 auto reloading supplies & tried some dummy rounds in various lengths to see if there was a difference. My gun seems to like shorter than SAMMI (0.984) so I loaded some @ 0.962in average with Berrys plated 100gr. Was at the range yesterday & it increased reliability 10X but still had several FT Feed. Also had several full mags that cycled without issues. We are getting somewhere...

I have noticed there were some good marks on the brass from the round trying to get in under the extractor. I removed extractor  couple times & lightly taking off the sharp edges that hinder the brass chambering. While working on the extractor I realized the breech wall was raised around the firing pin hole as if the cutter was worn out from the manufacturer during the build. The feed ramp was all wrong... Mounting just the barrel to the frame showed there was NO attempt to fit or finish the frame to barrel feed ramp. I was able to lower the frame to meet the barrel & re-shape the cut in frame to match. Basically just blended the frame to match the barrel feed ramp. Also lightly removed the sharp edges of the barrel where the round enters the chamber.

Full spring kit from Wolf is on order & 2 recoil springs. Should be here this week & will definitely have the recoil springs before the next time out.

Since the range time yesterday I have further massaged the extractor & the breech wall. Cycled my dummy rounds many times by hand & not had any problems so far with chambering or extracting rounds. I hope this is the final work needed. I will report back after the next range session.

Some pics

Take down was very difficult when I first got it. The locking block had a lump of steel right where it was to slide over the block. It was extremely hard to get the block low enough to remove the slide over top of it. I removed the locking block & sanded it flat. Comes apart nice & ease now.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:17:33 PM by vwpieces »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to make Late 380 HSc reliable
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »
Good luck at the range.  Those are nice photos.

Jim
Jim

vwpieces

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:57:53 PM »
Had some range time today with the HSc. Wolff springs showed up today so I took them along. Replaced the recoil & magazine springs before I started shooting. First few mags needed a nudge to drop slide & strip the first round. Recoil spring that was in my gun was stronger than the one Wolff sent me. Also the mag spring was their 5% heavier.

Ran well with no FTFeed with the re-worked ramp & ejector. Had to fire well over 200 rounds today. & very happy with its performance... Until it BROKE. Lost the Ejector, spring & plungers. Found Ejector (very nice Lady with better eyes than me) but did not get the spring & plungers back. Outdoor range with Grey slate small stones, no way I ever thought I would see it again. I have a spare spring in the pack I got from Wolff but now I need both plungers.

If someone can give me the basic dimensions of the plungers I would greatly appreciate it.
I will take apart a couple of my guns to see if anything I have would work in place. I am thinking 1911 first to try.

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
The same thing happened to me with my HSC a while back.  I sent the slide to Tom Heller in Missouri.  He fixed it and returned it within three days.  Or you can contact him at 636 447-3006 or hellerarms@webtv.net.  If he the plungers you can purchas them from him or send your slide to him as I did.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:38:12 AM by donp326 »

vwpieces

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
got to working on the HSC to see what all happened.
The Safety detent plunger was still there. & again I have the spring from the Wolff spring kit.

Spent some time looking for an extractor plunger & seeing all different possibilities. Including making my own. Diameter is about 3.5mm & a 9/64 drill bit would make a good start for the plunger. A friend has a Lathe but is away for the weekend.

So I have been working on making the plunger from a drill bit. I have it shaped for the indent in the extractor & lapped the 2 parts together. Fit very well & interlock better than original. I believe this will help keep the extractor from falling out again.
here is a pic

If anyone can give me the measurements of the button, part on top of the spring, I would greatly appreciate it. I need the length ot the portion above the spring to the top of the rounded top.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:52:45 PM by vwpieces »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
It is identical to the Safety Plunger so you can use that as a guide.  A Walter PP Plunger works as well.  By the way, things will continue to break on the .380 HSc.  You can expect the Trigger Hinge Pin, the Hammer Hinge Pin, and the base of the Frame to let go at some point.  Stock up on spare parts.