Author Topic: I have this old Mauser...Info appreciated  (Read 6746 times)

Mowser

• View Profile
I have this old Mauser...Info appreciated
« on: October 31, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »
This German-made (Berlin) Mauser in 8mm in stamped 1908 model, has Brazilian crest and obviously has been sporterized. The serial numbers on the receiver and floorplate match. The Mannlicher stock does not appear to be original and I think the barrel may have been cut down or otherwise modified. The Lyman peep sight was added, as was the compass in the stock. Not sure if the double-set trigger is original. The gun shoots .323. Appreciate any comments as to possible value as a collector piece. It's a great shooter. Thanks for any info. .
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:42:30 AM by Mowser »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: I have this old Mauser...Info appreciated
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
BEAUTUFUL!!!   What a stock.   Thanks for posting the photos. 

Jim
Jim

Mowser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »
Thanks, Jim. Finally got it to the range and could not believe how accurate it is! I was getting 2-inch groups at 50 yards, unscoped. I'm not that good a shooter so gotta credit the rifle and those peep sights.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:04:24 AM »
Keep with those sights.  No need to put optics on it.  Sounds like a super great rifle.  I just cannot believe how it looks.  I am happy for your find!  Keep that barrel clean.  I bet you already have swabbed it.

Jim
Jim

Mowser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
Yep, Jim, I'm fanatical about cleaning my guns. Was wondering if it's OK to shoot lacquer-coated steel-cased ammo through it. Brass 8mm is hard to find at a reasonable price. I found some Romanian stuff at around 11 bucks a box. It's supposedly non-corrosive but not sure if it's safe to shoot through an old Mauser. I suppose a few shots wouldn't hurt and it would be advisable to clean the chamber/bore thoroughly to remove lacquer build-up. What say you?
http://www.sgammo.com/product/red-army/20-round-box-8mm-mauser-170-grain-fmj-hotshot-steel-case-ammo-made-romania-am1990

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »
That gun is so beautiful, I would hate to shoot anything, but the best ammo in it.  Yes, the Russian stuff would probably not hurt it, but that gun looks pretty special to me.  I would baby the inside as much as the outside has been.   You are not going to shoot 1,000 rounds out of it.  It is going to cost you a little more, but that fine rifle deserves it.  There is an old saying,  Don't be penny wise, and pound foolish.  You have a great piece of history there. 

Jim
Jim