Author Topic: What do I have?  (Read 7737 times)

ktown

• View Profile
What do I have?
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
No manufacturer or serial numbers. A 3.25 on the base of the barrel and bayard on the butt plate.

JPat2033

• View Profile
Re: What do I have?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »
You have a "sporter-ized" something.... It is a Mauser action, but tricked up.  Try to find numbers off of items and see what you have.  If the gun is sentimental, keep it clean and in the safe.  If you spent a little money on it, take it out and shoot something.  Enjoy it!  Somebody put some money in the scroll work and having that sight mounted.  BUT, take it to a real gunsmith and have them check it out first if you have any questions on its safety.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
You have a "sporter-ized" something.... It is a Mauser action, but tricked up.  Try to find numbers off of items and see what you have.  If the gun is sentimental, keep it clean and in the safe.  If you spent a little money on it, take it out and shoot something.  Enjoy it!  Somebody put some money in the scroll work and having that sight mounted.  BUT, take it to a real gunsmith and have them check it out first if you have any questions on its safety.

ktown,

Please be patient and wait for the opinion of a member with more post and knowledge of Mauser sporting rifles. Though I am more of a pistol collector I see no indication that this is a military rifle that was "sporterized". It in fact has more of an appearance of a rifle that has always been a commercial rifle.

JPat2033,

For a first post you are appearing to offer an expert opinion on something that I do not think can possibly be determined from a few images. If you care to explain how you reached this conclusion it would provide more weight to your statements. I do not see any military markings. I do see a set trigger a single blade rear sight, the engraving, scope mounts and stock design are that of a Mauser sporting rifle. There is no doubt that it is a 98 action but that does not rule out a commercial rifle. I know there are many very knowledgeable here on military Mauser rifles as I am sure there are some who know commercials ones. It seems to be the standard response to those who have what appear to be sporting rifles that they were converted, and many were created from military rifles but I do know that Mauser made many commercial rifles and so did other companies using Mauser actions that some people cannot tell from a expertly converted military rifle from an original commercial one.

Regards,

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

ktown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The gun has sentimental value, it belonged to my grandfather, but anyone in the family that might have known it's history has passed on. The only place I haven't looked for identification is under the front scope mount. That's next.

JPat2033

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »

Hello K-town,

I am very sympathetic to your position.  I have been there a number of times.

I found the following link that may help.  To the dismay of some here, I stand by my original comment.  You have a very nice rifle built around a mauser action.  The possibilities are endless.  For example, I had an uncle who built hundreds of customer sporters out of K98's following WW2. He would add a double pull trigger, engraving if needed, etc.

http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/mauser-rifles-pistols-table-of-contents/mauser-sporter/

Based of the very limited information you can provide, based on the above link, you very well could have a Type a Mauser sporter.  I am not an expert (and would submit there are no mauser experts, only proclaimed authorities).  Again, have it checked out by a gunsmith if you are questioning operability and capability. 

What I strongly encourage you to do is to check some of the internet gun sales sites (gun broker, guns of america, etc) from time to time to see if something similar to what you have pops up.  As you learn more about it, you unravel history, and insight to your Grandfather.  Those are jewels that have no price. :)

Good luck!

ktown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
I over looked the butt plate. It has the image of a knight on a horse with the word "Bayard" on it.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:37 PM »
I have no idea what you have, but I love it.  Congratulations on what appears to be a very nice firearm.  Your scope and mount is to die for.  Thanks for posting.

Jim
Jim