Author Topic: List of Model 1910 Factory Nickel Finish Serial Numbers?  (Read 8058 times)

JohnS3

• View Profile
List of Model 1910 Factory Nickel Finish Serial Numbers?
« on: March 12, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »
Hi All,
My first post on the forum, so a little about myself. I’m a 30 year retired military veteran who has always been fascinated by guns of all kinds but especially military weapons in particular war souvenirs/bring backs by veterans from past wars. I’ve been collecting militaria on and off since bugging my WW2 Veteran family members about their military service 50+ years ago.

A number of years ago, at a militaria show I traded an Italian pistol bring-back for a Mauser Model 1910 in a homemade pistol case with a WWI Iron Cross 1st Class on the top with vet bring-back paperwork. I figured I had the ultimate “Veteran War Souvenirs.

Just recently, I started looking for more information of my weapons and while researching online found that there were in fact factory nickel plated Mauser 1910/34. In my quest to learn more I purchased a copy of MAUSER Pistolen by Weaver, Speed and Schmid published by Collector Grade Publication Inc. In it on Page 83, Picture 138 I found an exact example of my Model 1910 Side Lath, serial no 59452.
My Model 1910 Side Latch has the exact some markings on the left side and has a serial no in the 20,900 range.

My first question is; was there specific serial number ranges where the factory did the nickel-plated finish or did they just pull items of the line or in the warehouse for nickel finishing?

Know the German mindset they would probably do the later and also would have record the weapons so finished. Regardless of which of the above selection processes was utilized, the Germans would have recorded which weapons received the factory nickel finish.
So my second question is; does anyone have the factory list of which weapons were nickel finished or where the documents lost during the war or during the French Occupation of the area that the Mauser was located?

Thank you in advance.
John

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: List of Model 1910 Factory Nickel Finish Serial Numbers?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. To your first question, Mauser did pull from production and nickel plate some examples. The nickel finish is listed in brochures and catalogues from the period as an option at additional cost. Not many were ordered but Mauser did also nickel some examples as samples. The majority of nickeled examples found today were refinished post war for GI souvenirs as nickel plating could be obtained at a very low cost from a concurred population whos economy was on the verge of collapse. As for your second question there is little doubt that Mauser did keep records of pistols that were given special treatment but as you hinted to with war and occupation they have been lost to time. All this said it is very difficult to say with certainty that any example has a factory nickel finish. I have 3 in my collection and I feel reasonably certain that they are factory finishes but there is always a hint of doubt.

Regards,   
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

JohnS3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 05:53:35 PM »
Mr Mason,
Thank you for the quick reply and your insight into this area of Mauser weapons. Regardless of what collectors say on this subject, as you wrote; until a Mauser list of Nickel finished Model 1910s surfaces there is no way of saying that it was not factor finished which is fine with me.
Best regards,
John

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »
Mr Mason,
Thank you for the quick reply and your insight into this area of Mauser weapons. Regardless of what collectors say on this subject, as you wrote; until a Mauser list of Nickel finished Model 1910s surfaces there is no way of saying that it was not factor finished which is fine with me.
Best regards,
John
John,

I am sorry to contradict you but that is not what I said. Documentation could confirm an example but because most examples are not original, any nickel finish should be looked at skeptically rather that to assume it is original. Also an in hand inspection can reveal factors that indicate that the example has been refinished.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

JohnS3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
Mr Mason,
No problem, now I under stand what you stated. Absence the list can you explain or provide picture examples of indicators that a pistol has a factor nickel finish? What are some of the indicators that it is a post factory or privately finish to a pistol?

I’m sure that this can be a subject that is open to disagreement by some but it is still interesting subject all the same.  I did not know until recently that Mauser finished weapons with a nickel finish and I’m sure that I am not the only one in this situation.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your reply.
Best regards,
John

JohnS3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
Here are some pictures of the pistol and its case.