Author Topic: HSc E/L finish  (Read 8117 times)

abukafura

• View Profile
HSc E/L finish
« on: March 29, 2016, 06:26:49 PM »

For Warbird:Question about the finish on an early E/L HSc:
I have an opportunity to buy an early HSc with E/L acceptance.  The serial number is in the 711k range.
The finish on this pistol is VERY shiny and seemingly thin. It almost looks refinished, and I think it  might be but am not completely sure.  The finish is  not at all like the deep lustre blue/black finishes I am used to seeing on HSc pistols.
The seller is trying to tell me that this finish was the way Mauser did  the relatively early HSc pistols, including this one in the 711k serial range.  He also says Jan Still confirms this in his Axis Pistol book.  I no longer have this book so am unable to check Still's information and data
Was there ever such a thin, real shiny finish placed on the police Mausers relatively early in production or am I correct in saying that there is a problem with this gun's finish?
I have the gun in my possession and could send you photos of it but am unable to figure out how to post them here.  I wish I could so other forum users could chime in as well.  If you can give me an e-mail address, I would be able to send the photos to you.
Thanks for any help you could provide.
Herman

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSc E/L finish
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
Be glad to look at your photos, Herman.  Send them to:  adburnham@verizon.net.  Briefly, though, there is no difference in finish between Early Wartime or Police HSc pistols.  If you include your complete serial number I can look it up in our database for any specific notes.  I will also post the pictures on the site for you. 

abukafura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:50:53 AM »
Thank you for the reply, Warbird.  The serial number is 711167.  I am sending photos to the address you gave me.  Thank you again.

abukafura

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
Warbird:  I have tried 4 times to send photos but they all came back as "undeliverable."  Do I have the correct address?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »
My email address is correct as shown.  I just tested it and everything works.  Please check it and try again. adburnham@verizon.net

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »
Sometimes a sender will take several photos and have their camera set at 8 megapixels.  If that person sends 8 photos at 8 megapixels, then that file size is 64 million bits of information.  Most computer servers only can handle up to 25 MB, so the problem may be that the file size is too large for the server to handle.  When that happens the server rejects the file and sends it back to the sender.  Try sending a smaller file size of one or two photos.  You may need to send more than one email with different attachments.     Just an idea and a guess what is going on.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:56:45 PM by jcorl »
Jim

abukafura

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
Thank you very much for the good tip.  I just tried sending the photos in groups of 4 instead of all at once an hopefully it will work this time.  Appreciate the help.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
From what I can see in your photo, everything seems correct.  The finish is typical of Early Wartime HSc pistols.  I am including one of your photos here.

bigbore44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
From what I can see in your photo, everything seems correct.  The finish is typical of Early Wartime HSc pistols.  I am including one of your photos here.
That's a nice looking early HSc.  I have serial number 717184 that's in excellent condition and the finish appears to look like mine.  (The photo is just a bit too dark to make a strong comparison.)