Author Topic: Mauser HSc Serial#728897  (Read 10958 times)

abd_sami

• View Profile
Mauser HSc Serial#728897
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:54:02 AM »
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and first of all I would like to thank everyone who has given such huge amount of information regarding HSc (especially the moderators). Really appreciate it.

Now coming to point, my father has HSc with Serial#728897. I am looking for some information regarding the history for this particular piece.

The guns was passed on to my father from my grandfather. My grandfather bought this gun in India in 1964. Have a few queries

Q1. From the serial number chart this gun seems to be manufactured in 1941. Is it possible to find in which month and where in Germany was this gun manufactured?

Q2. I do not recall it had any markings on the trigger guard so I am assuming its a commercial pistol. Though I am not sure about it. In short, what markings can we check quickly to see which division the guns belonged to (army, police etc.)? Do not have it at hand so cant post any pictures as off now. Will do once it available.

Q3. How did this gun end up coming to India? Were there any agreements between India to import from Mauser.

Q4. In many posts I have read that it would be bad for the guns condition to keep in the original leather holster. What are the ways this gun can be stored safely. If recall correctly my grandfather and father have been keeping the guns in the holster from beginning as it was the original one

Sorry for the long thread but would appreciate  the responses.

Thanks,
Abd Sami
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:14:43 AM by abd_sami »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mauser HSc Serial#728897
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 04:42:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Abd Sami.  Please don't apologize for the length of your query ... I like a challenge although I don't know why you are getting all those [/size] markers.  So to the answers:

Q1.  Your HSc was produced in July 1941 at the Mauser factory in the city of Oberndorf am Neckar.  That is in southern Germany near the French and Swiss borders.

Q2.  The left side of the Trigger Guard could be stamped with an Eagle/655 for Army or an Eagle/L for Police.  Based on your India story though, it could very well be Navy marked with an Eagle/Swastika/M on the front Grip Strap and nothing on the left side Trigger Guard.

Q3.  There were no trade agreements with India by Mauser that I am aware of.  As I mentioned above, best guess would be that a Navy ship and equipment were abandoned there at the end of the war.  We have documented proof of this type of action in Canada.

Q4.  Yes, storing the pistol in a leather Holster could be detrimental to its finish with subsequent loss of value.  After being cleaned and oiled, storage in a pistol case would be preferable although any place outside the Holster would be an improvement.

I look forward to hearing about the markings you find and any pictures you can post.  If there is anything else, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:46:08 AM by Warbird »

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:52:24 AM »
Thanks a lot Warbird for your detailed replies. I think the reason for getting  mark is I did a preview before posting. Will post this one without preview and hope this goes fine.

Regarding markings and photos, it may take sometime. May be couple of months as the gun is with my father.

For storing the pistol, actually I was looking for the exact way a gun collector would store it e.g. in a wooden box or a holster made of another material. How are you storing your prized HSc?  :)

Also, I just read some posts that firing HSc is safe but may harm the pistol in the long run. My dad use to fire it once every 2 -3 years and it worked fine. I am assuming if we are planning to fire 6-7 shots continuously it may spell doom over gun.If we are not firing it regularly wouldn't the inner parts get jammed.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »
Good questions but the answers are as varied as the individual collector.  For instance, are you a true collector with 10's or 100's of firearms or just one, what means of security do you need or have available, what type of climate do you live in, etc., etc.  As a start, look at this website.  It is typical of many others that offer a wide range of storage containers that can be used:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/search.do?query=pistol+cases&sku_instock_b=true

Whether your pistol is a collector piece or family heirloom, shooting it could ultimately be detrimental to its condition and value.  It is a machine and as long as it is properly cleaned and oiled it can be stored indefinitely without firing.  If it is fired, parts may break that would be very difficult to replace ... after all, it is over 70 years old.  Only you can make that determination.

I forgot to mention that if the Holster is WWII original, including a maker's mark, it may be of collector value also.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:46:28 PM by Warbird »

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 08:01:45 AM »
Thanks again Warhead. I should have been more specific in my questions. So for my case we are only having one gun which is a family heirloom and needs to be stored safely.

After going through the link you shared, I think any modern day holster made of polystyrene like material should be good enough. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Point is, it has to be bought in India from a local gun shop as gun control is pretty strict here and imports are totally banned.

Can you also give brief summary of marking to check on the original holster like you did for the gun? Would really appreciate it.

Also, regarding the history as how this gun may have ended in India, I did a bit of research regarding gun control in India and found that gun imports were banned in 1980s. So it is possible that someone might have imported this during 1941-1964 time frame from when my grandfather brought it. Can't say for sure though? 

As regarding your guess about the gun getting carried on from an abandoned ship I am not sure how feasible is that. My grandfather brought it northern part of India which is around 1300km away from the nearest coast.BTW, do we have any documented proof of any German ships getting abandoned in India.

Also, this point will only be applicable if the gun has the Navy acceptance mark? In case it is not present we can completely rule this point out, right?

I am just curious and not trying to undermine your educated guess here. So, please don't mind  :)

Best Regards,
abd_sami
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:13:09 AM by abd_sami »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »
OK, abd_sami, polystyrene implies a hard shell.  If you are going to use a Holster be sure it is lined with a soft material.  I would like to see you use some form of Ballistic Nylon for the outer shell which is flexible.

Holster style and markings are too numerous to cover here, however, if you could post a picture along with a description of any embossing (impression) you see I'll let you know what it means.  If there is no embossing it means the Holster is just a commercial product of little value.

There is no documentation of a German Navy ship abandoned in India ... that was only speculation on my part if you find the proper marking on the Grip.  If it is not there, you are probably right that someone imported it before government controls were established.

I am anxiously awaiting your pictures and/or descriptions when you finally get to see this HSc up close again.  Anything else, let me know.

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
Thanks Warhead. Even I am also anxious to get my hands on the gun and look for any markings. However, there is still sometime when I will visit my native place. Probably will post the pics around mid July time frame.

BTW, I have ordered the HSC book you co-authored from Legacy Collectibles like 10 days back. Eagerly waiting for it :)

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 05:30:51 AM »
Hi Warhead,

Finally was able to get some pictures. Posting them in a series. Please let me know your comments on this pistol.

Thanks,
abd_sami

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 05:36:27 AM »
Pic number 4
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:40:33 AM by abd_sami »

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 05:40:04 AM »
Picture no 5

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 05:52:34 AM »

Hi Warbird,

It seems I have crossed the limit to upload pics. Please let me know if these are enough or you need any specific shots. Will replace the old ones with the new ones.

Thanks,
abd_sami

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
You indeed have a Commercial HSc.  Unfortunately, the condition is so poor that it has virtually no collector value.  It appears that the original bluing is completely gone and almost looks like it was intentionally buffed off.  The pitting and corrosion tells me that it has not been properly cared for even in the Indian climate.

About the only thing of interest is the British Proof Marks on Frame, Slide, and Barrel and "Not English Make" stamped on the Barrel.  If it is functionally sound, it will make a fine shooter.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
I love your British Proofs!   But like Warbird indicated the condition really kills it and puts it in a shooter class.  Thank you for sharing the photos.  They were very interesting on a once upon a time, when that was a great example. 

Jim
Jim

abd_sami

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
Hi Warbird/Jim,

Thanks for your comments. I did realize that the condition was very poor while taking the pics. I have already seen some great pieces in this forum.

As it was with my grandfather, people really didn't know about gun collection in those days. Anyways, it does hold a lot of sentimental value to us.

It does shoot well till now. Also, getting a foreign make gun is very difficult in India. Especially if it 70 years old.

Now some specific questions. What really does the British proof mark signifies? If it is a commercial pistol how did it end up in Britain? Also, any possibility of this gun seeing the action in the war.

Thanks
abd_sami

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »
I can't answer some of your questions however, British law required any firearm brought into the country to be proofed by their own Proofhouse in Birmingham, England and that is what is signified on your HSc.  How it got into Great Britain and, further, how it reached India is, of course, unknown.