Author Topic: 43 HSc firing pin  (Read 8523 times)

Dave

• View Profile
43 HSc firing pin
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:58:47 PM »
okay, got a 43 HSc, army model from cousin who's father passed away, ( he's not a gun guy).  It was neglected,but too my delight the barrel, cleaned up great.  Having no experience with this model, I researched the proper break down of the slide components, and took them out no problem.  And everything cleaned nicely and looks great for its age. Reassembly: the firing pin will not go in, came out great,as directions said to do, acts like tiny guide ball right before the tip,just won't enter the hole at enough angle to go down in channel.  If I had no problem removing, seems,clean should be easier. Any Ideas? It's weird.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 43 HSc firing pin
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
Good Luck!

Jim
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
For everyone else, I wouldn't recommend removing the Firing Pin unless you are totally familiar with the HSc mechanics and can remove the Safety before anything else.  With the Safety installed, removing the FP will probably get it bent.

So, Dave, from what you have stated I would guess you want to install the FP without removing the Safety.  If it is still straight, the Spring is what is probably causing the FP not to enter the hole.  Best bet here would be to try and hold the Spring back as you insert the FP (don't bend it!).  Be sure the vertical pin on top of the FP is facing toward the top of the Slide.

Let me know how it goes.

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:01:34 AM »
Thanks warbirds for the reply, I polished the small ball on the firing pin, and the firing pin hole, and it went right in.  Function tested with 5 rounds of 71 grain fmj Remington, fired flawless, except last was a half feed, pushed on the slide,it chambered and fired.  I would guess,the mag spring could use a little attention,or recoil spring or both, as it is an original period piece also.  The tiny ball machined right before the tip of the pin,keeps it aligned in the hole.  I agree with you,about not removing unless necessary, as if you lift the rear,the slightest bit too high, snap. I had no choice.  I did discover something interesting though, as we all know everyone one was copying the the ppk. The Bersa Lusber 7.65 is a copy of the HSc, they were never imported to the states,I got one from a sailor. Check it out. Again thanks.  I'll take a pic, and post here.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:33 AM »
The ball at the end of the Firing Pin is actually there to prevent over-penetration and subsequent feed jams.  A few HSc pistols can be found with just a straight tapered FP.  If you decide to replace the Magazine Spring or Recoil Spring you can't go wrong with Wolff Gunsprings:
https://www.gunsprings.com/MAUSER/HSc%20(EARLY%20MODELS)/cID1/mID40/dID171

In any event, glad you got it going!  Anything else, let me know.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:16:34 AM by Warbird »

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:53:34 AM »
Three Pistols same influence.

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:46:22 AM »
I ordered the springs. Thanks. I polished the feed ramp with jeweler a rouge, and tweeted the stock springs a little and that did the trick. It fired 31 of the Remington fmj no problem. Then I got worried about the things I read about the nice stock grips cracking and put it up,after a good cleaning.  Do you think I should install plastic,and put up originals?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
Absolutely save the original Grips.  You can find cheap after-market Grips here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=mauser+hsc&rt=nc&_dmd=2

By the way, it would be appreciated if you would share your complete serial number for my database.  For confidentiality you can Private Message me if you like.  In return I can provide month and year of manufacture.