Author Topic: Mauser collection  (Read 3896 times)

nimdabew

• View Profile
Mauser collection
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »
Hello all! This is my first post and I wanted to get some community input on a collection of Mausers my friend has. I have always wanted a Mauser, and he wants to make a deal with me. I want to get community input on the price or value of the rifles, pick my favorite, and sell the other two.

From what I can tell, two of them are genuine K98 Mausers, one made in 1939, one in 1940, both with the German Swastika, and matching bolt, receiver, and bottom metal (piece on bottom of magazine). One has forced match numbers, but the other one looks legit. The third Mauser is a Yugo 24/47 with matching numbers as well. He also has a pair of Mauser bayonets, as well as about 1500 rounds of ammo. A total of four spam cans of ball ammo, and a bunch of Remington 8mm something or other. I didn't get a good look at the boxes of ammo since I was more interested in the rifles, but I believe it was all power lock ammo. I have included pictures of the rifles. He wast 250/rifle but one of the German ones, he wants 300. What can I reasonably expect if I were to sell the two that I do not want.

Additional info, one of the top pieces of the stock is not on there or retained at the moment, but he has a giant bag of parts and a bunch of other stuff to go with the rifles, and I am sure that there is another retaining ring for the stock itself. Also, the bores are excellent and look almost new. No pits, corrosion, or anything like that, plus the rifling looks really sharp, which kinda makes me think that the guns are at least re-barreled.

Big question: is 1300 a fair deal for ammo, rifles, and spare parts?

Now, for the pictures:

Rifle 1:

Rifle 2:

Rifle 3 (Yugo 24/47):

DAK

Re: Mauser collection
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
Sorry for the delay in the response, but I missed this post when I checked earlier this week.  I am going to try and break this up a bit, starting with the rifles from top to bottom on your first picture:

Rifle 1: K98k: missing the trigger guard, floorplate, the stock has been shortened by moving the bayonet lug back and the barrel bands are missing in the picture.  It may still be worth $300, but that is about the max you are going to get for it and it would take some work to find a buyer.

Rifle 2: 24/47: looks complete, but the bolt handle is altered to clear a scope and there are mounts present for a scope.  Value in this condition is low, likely in the $150 range: the person buying this would likely convert it into a custom sporter.  Again, it will be difficult to find a buyer.

Rifle 3: K98k: missing the upper barrel band.  Looks like the stock is coated with something--maybe the heavy Russian finish or cosmoline?  Anyway, if the bore is good on this one, it would be a good one to get for $300, and may sell for $100 to $200 more than that once you put a barrel band on it.

The bayonets do not look like much, the ammo may be worth something if you can tell me more about it.  $1,300 for this lot?  I would not do it.  You may be able to make a small amount if you work at it and the ammo is good stuff, but you would more than likely spend a lot of time and effort to break even or lose some money.

There is a old saying in the gun collecting community: "junk will always be junk".  For most of what I see here, that is the case.  For $1,300 you could get a decent matching rifle if you have some patience.  Hope this helps.