Author Topic: What model is this  (Read 5795 times)

JohnC

• View Profile
What model is this
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:20:09 AM »
I am looking to buy a German Mauser 30-06, Mannlicher stock, double trigger with a pushpin device inside trigger guard, and a levered trap door. I cannot find a serial number or any other identifying information. I would like to know the model and any other observations so I can confirm the asking price.

DAK

Re: What model is this
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 06:36:10 PM »
Please post pictures of the rifle you are considering.  If it is 30-06, it is likely a sporterized military rifle.  The lack of a serial number is also evidence of this.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »
Wouldn't it be illegal to buy (or sell) any firearm without a serial number?  If it is, you could be exposing yourself to a world of legal problems.

DAK

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:42:34 PM »
No.  The Gun Control Act of 1968 required all newly-manufactured firearms to bear a serial number.  Any weapons made before 1968 were "grandfathered" in.  If they did not have a serial number when they were made, they did not need one added.  The majority of sporterized Mausers were done before 1968.  By the 1970s, a collecting community emerged and rifles in original condition started to increase in value, making the process of sporterization foolish from a money perspective. 

JohnC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »
Please see attached pictures
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:45:33 PM by JohnC »

JohnC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »
See additional attached pictures
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:01:36 PM by JohnC »

DAK

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:42:44 PM »
This looks like a sporterized K98.  After the war ended, a lot of gunsmiths reworked K98s for soldiers doing occupation duty in Europe.  Based on the quality of the work, I assume this is one of those rifles.  The full-length mannlicher stock and double-set triggers are nice features.  What is less appealing is the addition of the recoil pad and the fact it was drilled and tapped for a scope: I cannot tell from the pictures, but I assume there were provisions for sights on the rifle.

Value...  The double set triggers are likely worth a couple of hundred on their own.  With the alterations of the recoil pad and scope mount, I would not pay more than $500 for it.  If you are interested, I would take a fired 30-06 case and insert it in the action, then extract it.  You want to make sure that mount isn't too low to affect the function of the weapon.  If the brass hangs up, the rifle isn't going to be much use until you put new bases/rings on.  Hope this helps.