Author Topic: Mauser 1912/14 Humpback  (Read 6836 times)

Fonzie40

• View Profile
Mauser 1912/14 Humpback
« on: December 09, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
Hello, I have a 1912/14 Mauser Humpback that I purchased from a fellow officer that I worked with back in the 90's. It never worked because the extractor is missing. Does anyone know where I can get purchase one. I've checked all around the internet and have found nothing. I'm new to the mauser line so I thought I'd join the fourm to learn more and hopefully find an extractor for my Mauser Humpback.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:47:52 PM by Fonzie40 »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Mauser 1912/14 Humpback
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 06:52:21 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum. Wow, you have a rare early Mauser pocket model in .32 caliber. I like the way you refer to it as a 1912/14 Humpback as it is usually referred to as a 1914 Humpback when my research has revealed that they were made between 1912-1913. You have an early one, the 819th one made. They are rare in that less than 3000 were made. The highest serial number I have recorded is 2825. Because of their age and rarity finding an extractor may be impossible. The only way would be to find another example in poor condition and scavenging the part from it but there are problems even with that because it would be very expensive and hard to find one as described with the correct extractor. The extractor on most, not all Humpbacks is different on the early examples, like yours, than it is on late Humpbacks and the model variations that followed. Making the part, from a later extractor or scratch is a better possibility. You would need to find a master gunsmith or expert machinist to do the fabrication. That said, you have a very desirable and collectable example as is and depending on why you want to repair it you may want to consider other options. Are you looking to repair it to shoot it or do you just want to restore it? If to shoot, you may want to consider acquiring a common variation.

Regards,     
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:39:30 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Fonzie40

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 04:31:43 PM »
Thank you, and yes my thought is to restore it. also thanks for updating my info for it took me a long time to even get started to start looking for anything about this weapon and I was told it was a prototype and that there was only 2800 made. But that being said 2800/2825 who cares it's still old and nice. Thank you for the information and actually I did find a gunsmith that said that he could fabricate or work with anything to fix it so until I can find an original extractor (If that's even going to be possible) I found a 1891 Argentine Mauser Extractor - Original M1891 which to my measurement is about 1/8" to long which the gunsmith said he could take care of with no problem. It won't be original but if I decide to sell it at least it would be able to be fired (But I'm sure who ever would buy it would not use it to do that). Thank you again for the information you have given.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »
You are most welcome. If you noticed my avatar is a Humpback. It is serial number 576, I also have number 22 and a 4 digit one. So I am a big Humpback fan. If the 1891 Argentine Mauser extractor does not work the extractor for a later 1914 or 1934 model should be the right length and has more material and could be milled down to the bottleneck shape of early Humpback extractor. They can be found with a little work. I would try gunbroker.com to find one.

Regards,
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:41:30 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

Fonzie40

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »
Thanks again! Since you are a Humpback fan, curious, what do you think mines worth just from pictures. I just saw one on Collectors Firearms ser.#1239 go for 3995.00. It had more bluing but also more rust. Just curious. And would you need more photos to make your assessment. Thanks again

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
Humpbacks are difficult to assess. The 3 I acquired ranged from $1500-1800. I paid more for the one in the least condition but it was the one I bought most recently. I have seen some that appeared to sell for much more, as much as $5000 but they were special in some way like long barrels and/or markings, accessories, etc. They were also from large auction houses or major dealers. There are several on the market right now that have varying condition and price and as I follow them I am surprised I missed #1239's recent sale, though I do have the example's serial number recorded in my database.

Yours is a 3 digit serial number, Matching numbers? appears to be in very good condition, correct but is missing the extractor. As is, I would say a conservative auction estimate would be $1000-1250.

The one below is serial number 22. It is the only one I know of with the early address with the 1912 patent date. If offered for sale I have no idea what it might bring.

Regards,   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:45:48 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
Thanks for showing your Mauser pistol fonzie40. In all my time looking at mausers and collecting them I have only seen a very occasional humpback parts come up for sale. So I agree with 1914mauser that you would be better off having one made.
Value hard to judge. I have seen some go for less than what I expected and some for more.
Currently there are 4 for sale that I know of and the cheapest asking price is 1400, for a refinished gun. As I side note I have seen a different refinished one go for more than that.
Again thanks for showing.