Author Topic: Removing Cosmoline from Yugo M48 Rifle  (Read 1559 times)

Mauserman

• View Profile
Removing Cosmoline from Yugo M48 Rifle
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
I've seen several methods of removing cosmoline from rifles on YouTube etc.  Kerosene, gasoline, simple green and hot water, etc.

One fellow bought a heat gun for about 20 bucks and melted everything away in a jiffy.  He just took the M48 apart applied the heat and in a few minutes all parts were clean.

Has anyone ever used this method? What are your comments as I need to clean the compline off my M48.

1984Landcruiser

• View Profile
Re: Removing Cosmoline from Yugo M48 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »
I bought a new M48 a few years ago that had gone straight from the factory to cosmoline.  It was a mess.  I used blue shop towels to wipe most of it away and then applied diesel fuel on a rag to get most of the rest.  You can use a heat gun, but be careful to keep it pretty far away so you don't mess up the bluing.  The stock was my biggest challenge.  I used simple green, but the best thing was to spread a thick layer of newspapers on our outdoor table and then let the stock soak up the sun, which melted the cosmoline as it got hot.

Good luck!
David

CLEMAUSER

• View Profile
Re: Removing Cosmoline from Yugo M48 Rifle
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
I just removed it from my M48A, the stock cap was glued to the stock.. A heat gun for 5mins did the trick.. The rest I used mineral oil..