Author Topic: What is the best way to store rifles?  (Read 6723 times)

tburke

What is the best way to store rifles?
« on: June 06, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
An age old question, so let's discuss:  What method do you use to store your rifles and keep them healthy?

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best way to store rifles?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:48:36 AM »
I was raised in western Mo, lots of humidity.  If we didn't wipe our guns off with a lightly oiled rag when we came in from hunting on Sat afternoon there were rusty fingerprints on them the next morning when we got ready to go out again for the day. 
When we were done for the day or weekend, everything got a thourough cleaning, inside & out and was wiped down with a lightly oiled sheep skin before they were put away.  This was done everytime we had anything out and shot it. 

I have lived in Colorado for the past 40 yrs and this country has ruined me as far as cleaning guns is concerned.  I almost never do!  The dry climate removes almost all problems including to have to clean good after shooting corrosive ammo.  I generally clean my shooting stock a couple of times a year, mostly just for the hell of it. 
I have a MAC 10 that I bought new in 1976 and have done my best to abuse it just to see how good they really are - Let me tell you, they are as good as any gun can be!  I have around 9 or 10K thru it and untill a trip to Okla a couple of years ago it had Never had a cleaning rod in the bbl or a drop of oil put on it.  Back there because of the humidity it got disassembled and cleaned good.  First time I've had it apart since I first got it. 
The only concession to cleaning the MAC was that I always fired the last 1 or 2 rds of the day with non corrosive ammo.  Everything else I have shot has been corrosive.  Actually, I usualy do this with most of my guns. 
I know that many will not buy/shoot corrosive ammo because of the problems it causes.  I am very fortunate to live where I do.   When I go to a gun show I look for the older WW 2 vintage ammo because it is always cheaper than the newer NC ammo.  My 98k, Garand, MP 40, Sten,  Thompson and BAR eat the corrosive just fine AND I don't have to clean them at the end of the day - even the gas operated ones.
Sarge 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:58:44 AM by Sarge »
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

capnkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:32:53 AM »
   WOW! I don't think I have ever heard anyone brag about not cleaning guns,
but I agree. Some who clean more than shoot put unnecessary wear on their
bores. However, I am also fortunate to live in a relatively dry climate.

As to storage, I prefer to keep them in a handy corner of each room with
several rounds in the magazine. I have never understood why anyone should
have to lock up a gun and lock up the ammo in a separate place. That would
render a gun almost useless.

Trap4570

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
I don't really know of a best way other than what works for you.  It's more important to check them on a regular basis than to store and look at them once a month.  Stash guns kept at the ready should be looked at daily for safety concerns I would think.  A light wiping of your favorite oil is something most owners do anyway.  Military phosphate finishes require less attention then a fine Colt's Sauer with a deep blue finish.  Antique collections can be preserved with Ren Wax and museums use it on wood,metal and even oil paintings.  It protects a color case hardened colors from fading when exposed to light over a long period of time.  Black powder and mercuric primed ammo should be cleaned with hot soap and water, but regular modern ammo fired through your gun should require nothing more than an oily patch passed through the bore. Bench rest shooters have their own methods of cleaning and storing paying special attention to the bore and action.  They want to keep the guilt edge accuracy as long as possible. So my answer is how you store a gun is less important than checking on the gun.