Author Topic: Another Rifle ID Thread  (Read 5276 times)

willtxm3

• View Profile
Another Rifle ID Thread
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:43:58 PM »
Hi Guys,
New to the forum, but I have several old Mausers, a 98 Sporter, a Chilean Army, and a VZ24 sporter.  I just picked up this Mauser from a buddy and it has very few markings and it has been rebarreled to .300 Win Mag.  Overall it's in fine shape, but with some crude machining in one or two places.

The really odd part is the safety orientation.  It is moved over by the bolt handle like on a Remington 700, and is no longer on the rear of the bolt itself.

The trigger is also odd.  It's generally a Mauser stock type, but it has grooves in the face and rattles around loosely after dry-firing the rifle.

My friend shot the rifle recently, so I believe it to be fully operational, but I need some help figuring out what it is so I can overhaul it.

There are no manufacturer markings, and the caliber is relatively crudely stamped on the barrel.  The little crest seen on the trigger appears twice on the trigger group and once on the flat bottom of the action.  It almost looks like a medieval jousting helmet facing to the right.  The bottom marking on the trigger includes the number 342.
It also appears on the bolt release lever, with the number 32X (the third number is damaged/obscured.)

The safety pivots forward and backward and locks the bolt when on Safe.

The only other markings are an R on the bolt handle, and an E on the rear of the bolt by the bolt handle.

Does anyone have any ideas about the origin of this action?

I will post a few more pictures below.

Thanks,

Will

willtxm3

• View Profile
Re: Another Rifle ID Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »
I forgot to add, you can see where the original Mauser safety was cut/ground off the bolt in the attached picture.

The bottom plate measurements are also shown in the second attachment.

The third picture is of the bottom of the action when removed from the stock.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

nwhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 06:59:13 PM »

What you have is a 1917 enfield sporter.
What caliber is it?

willtxm3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
Thanks!  I did figure out that it's an Enfield, but it's still got some question marks around it. 

It's chambered in .300 Win Mag, and I intend on replacing the stock and trigger.  I already have a Timney drop in trigger, and I want to add a Boyd's laminate stock since this one is all hacked up and touching the barrel in a few places.

Hopefully the barrel is in good enough shape to still shoot well enough.

Thanks!

Will